Hello everyone, trying to identify a problem.

Participant count
  • Participants list

big block duster

CarAudio.com Newbie
Texas
I have had to replace one of my amps,,It was a mtx 801thunder 800 watt 2 channel 4 ohm. It lasted 9 years, I have replaced it with a skar audio rp 800 watt 2 channel amp.I have the 2 subs wired to 4 ohms (kicker comp vr 12" DVC 2 OHMS)with this the MTX amp would continue to break loose the rear view mirror. This skar amp is 1ohm stable, I have not bridged the amp (skar audio does not recommended it)the MTX was not bridged. It was 2 wires to each channel + & - from each sub.With the skar amp I had to turn on the loudness to low-mid and the bass EQ 3/4 on at the stereo to get good bass. The amp on 100% and the plug in bass boost on 100%, I never had to do this with the MTX amp. It still doesn't compare to the MTX and skar audio does not help much on this. I have 3.8 ohms per sub, I have 1.9 ohms at each voice coil. WHAT AM I OVERLOOKING, I have been installing systems back since the Equalizer's is all we had. I have installed many systems with amps including my own. I'm using #4 jl audio fine strand wire for power & ground, along with jl audio speaker wire. And what's funny is I put in a antique no name 800 watt amp just to check, And it has crazy deep bass.But it's a 8 ohm amp.CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT FOOLISH THINGS I AM OVER LOOKING. THANKS VERY MUCH.

First, Both the Mtx and Skar amplifiers are mono amplifiers. Meaning that they are only 1 channel. The 2 sets of speaker terminals are just to make it easier to connect multiple subwoofers.
By your description, you have the amp wired at 2 ohms mono. The Mtx was rated at 800 watts rms at 2 ohms. The Skar is rated to make 600 watts rms at 2 ohms.
Their is no way to wire two 2 ohm dvc subs to 1 ohm mono. So you are stuck at 600 rms with the Skar.

First, Both the Mtx and Skar amplifiers are mono amplifiers. Meaning that they are only 1 channel. The 2 sets of speaker terminals are just to make it easier to connect multiple subwoofers.
By your description, you have the amp wired at 2 ohms mono. The Mtx was rated at 800 watts rms at 2 ohms. The Skar is rated to make 600 watts rms at 2 ohms.
Their is no way to wire two 2 ohm dvc subs to 1 ohm mono. So you are stuck at 600 rms with the Skar.

O.K.Thank you gentleman. Looks like I will be buying another new one. I tried to get the rms rating and more info. from skar about this amp and I never got a reply, I have a JL Audio amp pushing the mid's so I believe I will buy one that's tried & true. Thanks again guys for the info, y'all have a great website here and I appreciate y'all letting me use it.

If you rewire your subs to series parallel you'll get a 2 Ohm load and probably wake that Skar up. As for getting another JL, they make great products but they're very expensive. From my short time here I've found there are many other brands that are a much better bang for your buck. Skar isn't well liked but without spending more money, you can rewire your subs and probably get what you want or if you're set on keeping 2 Channel @ 4 Ohm I would recommend Orion or Taramps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.