Head Unit Radio Only Changes Stations When Cycled Between Inputs

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tony L

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oregon
Hi all.

I've had an aftermarket Kenwood 893S Head Unit installed for about 3 years with no issues until recently. After consistently receiving HD channels, the unit stopped picking up HD signals. Another symptom is that I have clear reception of the last station tuned when the radio powers on initially, but if I try to change the station to another pre-set, I need to cycle between another input (AUX, Sirius XM, etc.) on the HU to get any reception. Once I cycle to the alternate input and back, the new station reception is fine.

I have the latest Kenwood firmware installed (installed it about 1 year ago) and there were no issues after the install. The problem just started happening in the last few months, starting with the lack of HD signal and now this.

Has any one seen this type of issue before? At first I thought it was an antenna problem and did check the connection at both ends to ensure it was not loose or corroded, but could not find anything. Could this mean that the HU tuner has developed an issue?

Thanks,

-Tony

Thanks for the suggestion, appreciate the help.

After a reset and software reload, the issues persist. The only (slight) change is that the "scroll" that indicates the station and the artist/song is now working. But still no HD signal and still has the issue with not being able to change stations without switching inputs. Tonight I tried just flipping between AM and FM bands and that also enables the new station to register, same as the input change.

At this point I'm thinking that I have to live with it or replace the HU. HD radio is not a big deal IMO, but not being able to change stations normally is a bit annoying.

Thanks for the suggestion, appreciate the help.

After a reset and software reload, the issues persist. The only (slight) change is that the "scroll" that indicates the station and the artist/song is now working. But still no HD signal and still has the issue with not being able to change stations without switching inputs. Tonight I tried just flipping between AM and FM bands and that also enables the new station to register, same as the input change.

At this point I'm thinking that I have to live with it or replace the HU. HD radio is not a big deal IMO, but not being able to change stations normally is a bit annoying.
I think I have a nice HD JVC in my inventory there aren't any stations in my area but a couple of PBS classical music channels ...I like classic rock not really into classical music except maybe in an elevator

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.