Head unit distorting at volume 25 out of 35 max

Participant count
  • Participant list

mikeysheff12

CarAudio.com Recruit
So currently I have a fairly cheap head unit, it is the Kenwood KDC-168U. I was going to upgrade but I noticed there is a shortage on microchips so there are not any good, high quality ones around. I have four Kicker CS Series door speakers and a Skar ZVX-12 sub on 2k watts. I can’t figure out a way to get rid of the distorting in my speakers going past 25. They’re brand new and I thought they would fix the original problem of my stock door speakers distorting. My radio equalizer is flat all the way through so my sub can take all the bass. If need be, I will get a new head unit as soon as they come off of back order. Does anybody have any suggestions for what’s going on?

The internal amplifiers in many head units distort the way yours does. Not just the cheaper ones. The best way to fix it is to use a amplifier for all your speakers.

What if my current amp for my sub is pulling so much power including the fans I have on the amp that when I have my bass knob all the way up with the volume at 25, my headlights dim when the bass actually hits. Wouldn’t another amp make that effect worse. Also, how would I wire another amp if my current head unit only has one rca plugin which my amp for my sub is plugged into

What if my current amp for my sub is pulling so much power including the fans I have on the amp that when I have my bass knob all the way up with the volume at 25, my headlights dim when the bass actually hits. Wouldn’t another amp make that effect worse. Also, how would I wire another amp if my current head unit only has one rca plugin which my amp for my sub is plugged into

Most two channel or four channel amps have a pass thru. Allowing you to run one set on RCA's in and one set out to the sub amp.

What sub amp do you have?

Now don't get me wrong, I have run a lot of Skar. But there are Pro's and Cons to that amp

Pros: Puts out more than rated power Roughly 22-2600 watts from certified to dynamic

Cons: Not very efficient 66-72% and it pulls a lot of amps. Up to 220-240 amps

So in my opinion that amp needs a second battery to see its full potential. You can try doing the Big 3 to see if that helps.

Now don't get me wrong, I have run a lot of Skar. But there are Pro's and Cons to that amp

Pros: Puts out more than rated power Roughly 22-2600 watts from certified to dynamic

Cons: Not very efficient 66-72% and it pulls a lot of amps. Up to 220-240 amps

So in my opinion that amp needs a second battery to see its full potential. You can try doing the Big 3 to see if that helps.

Alright, thank you. I’m doing the Big 3 today as slugbutter suggested on one of my previous threads. Would I be able to just upgrade my current battery instead of having to get a second one would it be better to get a second one.

A lot of radios will distort well before their max volume level. Having good voltage, like 13v+ under full load, will supply enough power to help eliminate or minimize distortion or clipping.

That deck is a pos. Max the bass, add some treble, don't forget to turn the loudness mode on and VOILÀ! Distortion shiatfest at low volume.

Get a 4 volt deck.

x2, never get a deck below 4v. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to bang my head through people's dashes trying to tune a less than 4v radio. Usually the gain has to be cranked up all the way, and sometimes you actually have to use bass boost. Below 4v RCA outputs should be highly frowned upon; that's garbage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...