Guy who doesn't know crap about building boxes

vettelovr1124
10+ year member

Livin' Life
ok, i want to build a box and i have some questions, so here i go. Should i buy board that is 3/4" think or 5/8" thick, which sounds better or lasts longer? should i brace the inside? should i use a port and how should i set the port up? where can i buy terminals or do i put a hole in the back? and finally, does carpet make a difference. please help.

First off I would definately use 3/4" thick wood. The best wood to use is MDF (medium density fiberboard), its about 20 bucks a sheet. If the box is for more than one sub, you should make each sub its own chamber. I personally like sealed boxes better than ported, buts its all opinion. If your shootin for a tight clean and punchy bass, then you want a sealed box, but if you want boomierand a little bit louder bass,you want to go ported. Whichever you decide to build, I think the most important aspect of a box is how airtight it is. I used about four tubes of liqui nails on ever crack and crevice inside of my box. It makes the bass a whole lot cleaner if it has some air pressure behind it to press against. I personally think terminalslook more profesional, but just drilling a whole is easier, just make sure you use come caulk around the hole. Carpet definately isnt nessesary, but I think it is worth the time. It only costs about 10 bucks for the carpet so I figure why not. THats about all I got, hope I helped.

Originally posted by Corsica I beg to differ. If u take the volume of a square basic box vs a hatchback box, the hatchback will be a lil betta SQ.

J
How do ya figure ? Shape makes no difference. As long as the volume is correct. The length of a low frequency sound wave is so long, that you really don't have to worry about standing waves inside of the enclosure. Unless your box is like a 20-30 foot square //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

why is it better to have seperate chambers? i'm a novice too and i was just curious as to why it would matter......... also should the box be braced? like the corners and such and with what could i just you a little triangle for the praces out of left over mdf or do they have to be a certain way?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

vettelovr1124

10+ year member
Livin' Life
vettelovr1124
Memphis Area/ B'Burg
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date