Good quality cheap amp(s) to power 2 SSA xcon 12's

Participant count
  • Participants list

mastatikle
10+ year member

ny cap
hey i am building a system for my mkz and picked out two xcon 12's i now need a amp(s) to power them im not trying to spend over 400 for the amps i was looking into hifonics, audiopipe and spl. the subs run on 1750w rms each the SSA tech told me i can run them at 2000w rms each so im looking for a amp or amps to push out a rms wattage of between 2000w-2300w. I feel as though that would be the perfect amount of wattage. i want a amp i can rely on and one that is dependible with power, sq, and cooling. please help with what ever info you have. Thanks alot. once i have this done next will be custom door panels holding 4 speakers in each but thats later haha thank you again, all advice is greatly appreciated

I would look at Audioque, Audiopipe, Soundstream, and Cadence. Also, check out the amp classifieds, it's almost always better to go with a better used product than a crappy new product.

Also, just to make sure I understand, you're only planning on running the subs at half-power?

Thanks I'll look into that. No I just don't want to over power them either... I think haha. I don't know if it would be ok to run a amp that's 2000rms and 4500w max I'm not sure how these subs would react to that or how constant/often that increase occurs in the amp or when it "kicks in". Im somewhat new to the car audio stuff and I'm not so sure how I match the amps to the sub so to stay safe I was thinking run a little more than the rms all day long. Then again I dont know to much, so the advice is appreciated, thank you. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Usually good quality and cheap don't go in the same sentence but if you're leaning towards cheap then go with Audiopipe. The Cresendo 3KWP is more expensive but it is a better product.

Oh and you need to list if you're getting dual 2 ohm or dual 1 ohm coils.

Which is the better choice? Dual 1 ohm or dual 2 ohm?

Haven't picked that out yet. SSA doesnt have any xcon's in stock they said something to do with lack of steel and they said they'll have some in a few weeks... Whatever that means. But I figured I'd buy everything else and then just drop the subs in.

You can get Sundown 2K for 420ish used when they come up. A solid amp for the money.

You might want to pick an amp before you select sub coil configuration. I'd say dual 1 since most amps you're looking at would be 1 ohm stable and you don't really need to be pushing things below that.

Also keep in mind if you're running a true 2KW amp you'll really want at minimum an extra battery or HO alternator.

No, not yet everything is stock on this mkz i cant find a high amp alternator, but i do have a battery rack and a battery but i might upgrade to another battery.

Thanks I'll look into that. No I just don't want to over power them either... I think haha. I don't know if it would be ok to run a amp that's 2000rms and 4500w max I'm not sure how these subs would react to that or how constant/often that increase occurs in the amp or when it "kicks in". Im somewhat new to the car audio stuff and I'm not so sure how I match the amps to the sub so to stay safe I was thinking run a little more than the rms all day long. Then again I dont know to much, so the advice is appreciated, thank you. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Yeah, I usually run an amp that is about %150 of the speakers rated RMS handling, simply because I rarely keep it turned up full blast all the time and I don't mind overpowering the speakers for short periods of time.

Also, since you're running two subs you'll need an amp (or amp combination) that puts out twice the rms of one individual sub. I can't tell if you have that figured out or not, but I know people who think that a 500 watt amp hooked up to two subs will put out 500 watts to each sub, when in reality it's only putting out 250 watts to each sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.