Good passive crossover?

You dont know because you dont know what crossover point is best in your car. You are literally buying a scratch lottery ticket with passives hoping to god it works. But you'll get weak to shitty results. Reason why you want active networks is so you can choose the crossover point as you tune. for example if you have a really harsh peak at 4000hz, you can leave a crossover gap between 3500hz for the mid and 4500hz for the tweeter along with adjusting the slope accordingly. This gap doesnt mean your system wont play it, it means its attenuated and naturally smooths out the frequency response in a way that cannot be achieved at all with any sort of EQ. The thing is you don't know what crossover points are best until you are at the final stage of the system aka the tuning. It can be 2.7khz, 3.8khz, 6.5 khz, etc.... Every car is completely different which is why you get a big mix of reviews on amazon and stuff why a pair of passive components sounds godly vs the same components in another car sounding like straight garbage. Crossovers are not something you ever want to cheap out or lazy out on if you appreciate music.

You dont know because you dont know what crossover point is best in your car. You are literally buying a scratch lottery ticket with passives hoping to god it works. But you'll get weak to shitty results. Reason why you want active networks is so you can choose the crossover point as you tune. for example if you have a really harsh peak at 4000hz, you can leave a crossover gap between 3500hz for the mid and 4500hz for the tweeter along with adjusting the slope accordingly. This gap doesnt mean your system wont play it, it means its attenuated and naturally smooths out the frequency response in a way that cannot be achieved at all with any sort of EQ. The thing is you don't know what crossover points are best until you are at the final stage of the system aka the tuning. It can be 2.7khz, 3.8khz, 6.5 khz, etc.... Every car is completely different which is why you get a big mix of reviews on amazon and stuff why a pair of passive components sounds godly vs the same components in another car sounding like straight garbage. Crossovers are not something you ever want to cheap out or lazy out on if you appreciate music.
I’m sticking with passive. On my tweeter slope what do u think would be a nice slope, 0, -3, or -6? It crosses over at 3500hz. -6db would be good because doesn’t that make the tweeter less loud or am I m left field on this one?

Last edited:
I’m sticking with passive. On my tweeter slope what do u think would be a nice slope, 0, -3, or -6? It crosses over at 3500hz. -6db would be good because doesn’t that make the tweeter less loud or am I m left field on this one?
left field completely. You really need to learn your crossovers fully. You dont understand them at all LOL and basically going in on this blind and basically didn't understand a single thing i said in the paragraph above.

normal crossover slopes are -6 -12 -18 -24 and -36. a slope of zero means you have no crossover.... Having a crossover on Doesn't make the tweeters any less loud it just prevents them from play mid frequencies which means you increase power handling and they play even more loud in the range they are supposed to play. Your mid crossed over right will handle more power and get louder in the range they are supposed to play.... Remember what i talked about where different drivers shouldnt be playing the same frequencies because of phase cancellation or soundwave distortion?

Im recommending active because you'll be WAY louder and sound 100000000x cleaner. like night and day difference. Like garbage and gold sort of difference.

You really want to start at square one in your audio knowledge first before building your system.

Don’t laugh (LOL) at me. Did someone laugh at u when u didn’t know? And if I knew then what’s the point of me asking for help like I did? None. I didn’t know so I asked for help. Help without laughs. The wicked one will always wink at u and say aha aha. Don’t play me, ridicule me or mock me with ur laughs. But on another note, thank you for your help.

Last edited:
just take his advice.......you came to this forum for a reason, now sit back, learn and listen. There are a lot of different personalities around here, don't get butt hurt......take advantage and learn!

I’m not getting butt hurt. I’m establishing that NOBODY has the right to laugh at anybody just because they don’t know something. There’s no such thing as a stupid question that deserves a laugh. Do u think God laughs at people when they ask him a question or do u think the devil laughs at people when they ask him a question? It’s about how u carry urself as a human. If they establish themselves like that, then so be it. But they will not do it through me. Find another avenue, pimpin. I’m trying to help the dude just like he helped me. People don’t come to a thread for advice and help to get laughed at in the process. Helping is one thing, but being condescending or smart elicky is a different story that most people don’t wanna read. I’m teaching him how to carry himself before the wicked one winks at him. Kapeesh?

Last edited:
Do u even know what a communist is? And if u think I’m a communist because I’m setting a boundary, then ur the one who needs the help. Not me. And FYI, the Db option on the crossover where the tweeter goes in is the attenuation settings. Has nothing to do where it crosses over at frequencies. It’s to attenuate the tweeters if they are too loud.

Last edited:
Well I tried to link an article called making the case for active crossover vs passive but my phone is having issues atm. Might try to goggle that when you get done preaching
FB_IMG_1577928838455.jpg

But I did get this to download.Go figure

Well I really tried to get it uploaded again Just says upload file doesn't have an allowed extension.
I thought was a good article. Kinda went with the topic and the other posted one 🤷‍♂️

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.