Gaping spark plugs...The easy way

Spark plug gapping ring are at Orileys for like 75 cents to about $1.30 key chain style..Always buy mine already gapped, but check due to bouncing around during shipment/stocking.Sometimes if you buy the plugs and ask they throw the gapping ring in for free they sometimes do
I always like free stuff ....

I usually get my parts at Autozone...I never thought about asking them
dont buy anything electrical there, seriously. Starters, alternators, wiper motors...All junk. I had to replace a starter and alternator three times in the parking lot before i got a working one. Went in the back and went through ELEVEN wiper motors with a tester...

my Corvette said it needed .045 so that would be close enough....
Troll post..

I used to have a 2007 chevy corvette z06.. The gap on mine was .035..

Even my sierra calls for .038 or near it as factory .060 is not good for new delcos.

Sent from my ZTE ZMax using Tapatalk

if you bothered to read, he has a 76 vette, 75-76 vettes call for .45 with stock ignition
.45 is manufacture recommendation, but with ngk plugs and most others are better off running at .35 even on stock.

.45 makes the engine sluggish.

.45 is manufacture recommendation, but with ngk plugs and most others are better off running at .35 even on stock..45 makes the engine sluggish.
once again,... stock plugs. best to stay with factory specs to decrease the chances of pre detonation when using a smaller gap which alters the heat dissipating properties of a plug

i bought factory style copper ac delcos for my 76 vette...they wernt gapped....
vettes before 75 were points style ignitions, in which .35 would be applicable considering the lower energy, but he has the hei ignition, in which the manual called for .60 [wishful thinking by gm to decrease emissions] but was later revised to .45 after the issue of misfires was discovered

Troll post..
I used to have a 2007 chevy corvette z06.. The gap on mine was .035..

Even my sierra calls for .038 or near it as factory .060 is not good for new delcos.

Sent from my ZTE ZMax using Tapatalk
Omg dude you continue to make yourself look stupid. Just stfu already.

dont buy anything electrical there, seriously. Starters, alternators, wiper motors...All junk. I had to replace a starter and alternator three times in the parking lot before i got a working one. Went in the back and went through ELEVEN wiper motors with a tester...
I must have good luck. The starter on my truck from autozone has been on there for 3 years with no problems.

I have a new ignition and plug wires ordered...but right now its stock....Will i need to re gap the plugs with the new ignition ?
depends on the ignition and coil,... coil mostly, but the ancillary ignition parts can play a minimal roll. high perf parts like accel, ngk, or msd for example, can allow you to open up the gap a bit more without fouling the plug due to the higher amount of discharge in energy used to complete the circuit between the center and ground electrodes.

smaller gap is usually the means to justify the discharge from a lower energy coil and/or a points ignition.

depends on the ignition and coil,... coil mostly, but the ancillary ignition parts can play a minimal roll. high perf parts like accel, ngk, or msd for example, can allow you to open up the gap a bit more without fouling the plug due to the higher amount of discharge in energy used to complete the circuit between the center and ground electrodes.
smaller gap is usually the means to justify the discharge from a lower energy coil and/or a points ignition.
The new HEI coil says its 65,000 volt coil and going to 8mm wires...engine is pretty much stock except for mufflers ...car has 63,000 original miles on a l48 350...I dont plan on any or many more mods performance wise on that car...my Grand National is plenty fast enough ...if I want something to play in...

The new HEI coil says its 65,000 volt coil and going to 8mm wires...engine is pretty much stock except for mufflers ...car has 63,000 original miles on a l48 350...I dont plan on any or many more mods performance wise on that car...my Grand National is plenty fast enough ...if I want something to play in...
coil discharge voltage for a stock 76 vette was 40kw, but with 65kw ill venture to say you can get away with a wider gap,.. possibly .50-.55 which can support a leaner mix. it can be trial and error, but if you notice some sluggishness and need to close the gap, just tap the ground electrode on a wooden surface and re-gap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Louisiana_CRX

5,000+ posts
dem shoes......
Louisiana_CRX
Piney Hills of Louisiana
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date