Full active or add 8inch subs?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ole Bumpy

CarAudio.com Newbie
GA
Hello, all. First time poster here. Been lurking for a while. I'm starting to get all my pieces together for my dream build but have a question. I originally was going to use a Focal 6.900(6x150rms@4ohms) with 4 channels for the front and back speakers then bridge 5 and 6 on the subs. Turns out those were shitty pipe dreams and I need more wattage for the subs i had picked out. Subs are Focal 10s K2 Power E25KX with 600watts RMS each(x2). So i grabbed the 1.2000 by Focal which puts out 1200x1@4ohms. So that frees up an two channels on the 6.900 that I originally planned for subs. Talking with the installer briefly today he said I could go fully active and skip the crossovers for the front components. I asked him about some speaker pods that i saw online that would allow me to add an extra 6.5 inch speaker to the door or add an 8inch sub to the existing 6.5 inch speaker in the door. It fits in the front door pocket of a 2015 Silverado HD. So my question is(and I've been out of the game for 15 years) in yalls experience, would you add the 8inch subs into the speaker pods installed in the door next to the factory 6.5 and ran from channels 5 and 6(also running the Focal DSP8) or would you use 4 channels for the front components and skip the 8inch subs? I'm starting to run out of room, it's only a double cab(extended cab) and not the full crew cab. Running the gen IV Linkswell, too..not sure if that matters for my question. Thanks in advance!

so are you running a 3 way front stage or 2 way......if 3 way i would choose the 8", if 2 way i would go 6.5"..... i would think you would run into beaming issues running the 8" on a 2 way..... i would go 8" midbass, 2.5" - 4" midrange, and tweeter that can play low.....i personaly wouldnt run a 6.5" and 8" together, swap the 6.5" for a smaller midrange and keep the 8" for midbass duty

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. It's a 3 way on the front. Coax in the rear door. But with the 6 channel amp my installer swore up and down it'd sound better active and to forget about the 8inch for now. That coupled with your advice and I will forego the 8s for now. I may add them and another small amp later. I'm already several thousand over budget before installation anyways. The truck is being dropped off Saturday so we'll see how it goes. Thanks again and I'll try to report back in a couple weeks if all goes well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.