Focal amp vs JL Audio amp - what's considered the better brand?

Participant count
  • Participants list

Sushiglob

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey all - I'm looking to push an 8 inch DVC 2-ohm sub. It's rated for 200 RMS at 400 Max (CDT Audio HD-800CF). I'm replacing an OEM, factory sub that blew and I'm limited to a 4 inch mounting depth. Not many options. Anyways, I need a small, compact solution to power the thing. I've been looking at the JL Audio XD300/1v2 amp and the Focal FDS 1.350 amp. Both are mono and both should be able to accommodate the 8 inch sub I'm looking at. The Focal is newer than the JL Audio amp. Both are very small, the size of a brick or so. I'm going for SQ.

Stuff:
- The Focal can do 210 watts @ 4 ohms @ 1 channel
- The JL Audio amp can do 200 watts @ 4 ohms @ 1 channel
- The Focal amp doesn't appear to have a bass remote, the JL Audio amp does
- The Focal amp seems more straight forward, simple. The JL Audio amp has some features I probably won't ever use
- both are very similar in size.

Questions:
Which amp is considered to be the better brand?
The JL Audio amp can do 200 watts @ 4 ohms at 14.4 volts, but only 160 watts @ 4 ohms with 12.5 volts. I don't understand what this means. How would I make sure it was getting 14.4 volts so I can achieve the 200 watts @ 4ohms?

Any other amps I should look at? What about 8 inch subs with less than a 4 inch mounting depth? 

Last edited by a moderator:
When your engine is running your alternator is charging the battery meaning you have around 14.4 volts. When your engine is turned off you are just using the power stored in your battery which is around 12.6 volts.

While it’s not the same amp i have a JL HD600/4 and it’s very good, small, powerfull and good SQ. I have some Sundown SD3-10’s which have a 4.75 inch mounting depth, have a look at the 8 inch version it might be a bit shallower.

Hey thanks, I'll check out Sun Down and thanks for explaining the car battery and voltage stuff. Makes a whole lot of sense now. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.