mechatron

Hi Guys,

I currently have the following setup in my car (sedan):

Head unit: Alpine ICS-X8

Processor: ARC PS8

Fronts: Focal KRX2 comps

Amp: Mosconi AS200.4

Subs: twin Focal 11" 27KX subs in an 80L custom sealed enclosure

Amp: Alpine PDXM12 (birth sheet of 1346w rms)

Now, the sound quality & accuracy from these Focal subs is pretty amazing however I would like a pair of subs of similar SQ that play lower (deeper) and louder.

Putting all cost differences aside (rrp in Australia => $750 (Black 12) vs $1029 (33KX)), what pair of subs should I go with? Twin 33KXs or Twin Black 12s

I had a pair of the Focal Polyglass v1 13's and I can honestly say they were in the top 3 of my favorite subwoofers. They got loud, low, and sounded great doing it! I had 2 of them in 3 cubes tuned to about 30 hz. with a 4" aero. I got the box made and stuck them in there with an older Pioneer Premier amp that did around 600 @ 2 ohm. All I can say is wow. The amount of output was amazing.

Have you thought about maybe running the 11's ported? That might make a big enough difference. I know they're recommended sealed (I think) but I wouldn't have run the Poly's any other way.

Hey mate, thanks heaps for the reply. Were the Focal subs boomy after putting them in a ported enclosure?

I'm still after tight and accurate bass, however I just want a bit louder and deeper...and I definitely don't want boomy

Is there anyone else on here who has had experiences with either the Arc Black 12 or the Focal 33KX? Or had both? Please tell me your experiences with these subs

Hey mate, thanks heaps for the reply. Were the Focal subs boomy after putting them in a ported enclosure?I'm still after tight and accurate bass, however I just want a bit louder and deeper...and I definitely don't want boomy
Not at all. Extremely tight and accurate. I wasn't going after SPL I was going more for SQ so the box was tuned somewhere in the 28-30 hz. range. I had no idea they were going to have the output they did. I was driving a 2000 Monte Carlo and they were in the trunk without the seats down. They knocked my rear view mirror off numerous times and I had to tighten the lock on the trunk a few times. LOL! And this was with A LOT of Dynamat. Not bad for supposed "SQ" woofers.

DC Creations in OKC built my enclosure. Guy's name is Dustin. He's also a moderator on here and a vendor. Get in touch with him and he'll put together some plans for a box for you that will fit your needs. Pretty sure he's had experience with the Arc Blacks as well. He's a good guy and a wealth of information.

Not at all. Extremely tight and accurate. I wasn't going after SPL I was going more for SQ so the box was tuned somewhere in the 28-30 hz. range. I had no idea they were going to have the output they did. I was driving a 2000 Monte Carlo and they were in the trunk without the seats down. They knocked my rear view mirror off numerous times and I had to tighten the lock on the trunk a few times. LOL! And this was with A LOT of Dynamat. Not bad for supposed "SQ" woofers.
DC Creations in OKC built my enclosure. Guy's name is Dustin. He's also a moderator on here and a vendor. Get in touch with him and he'll put together some plans for a box for you that will fit your needs. Pretty sure he's had experience with the Arc Blacks as well. He's a good guy and a wealth of information.
That's some good information, thanks mate. However I probably want to stick with a sealed enclosure to maximize boot space so I can still access my spare wheel (since Ive had two blowouts on the last 6months).

It's also good to hear that the Focals can sound great in a ported enclosure

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.