foam vs. rubber

kingpin_jeffie
10+ year member

i need a vacation...
Erie, PA
I was just sitting here reading up and I was wondering if someone out there can help me distinguish the performance differences between foam surrounds and rubber surrounds. ie Mag D2 surround (foam) vs eD A surround(rubber)?

The only thing i can think of would be suspension control? or perhaps distortion at high excursion levels?

Assuming they are properly designed, there really isn't any difference.

A competently designed foam or rubber (butyl rubber, santoprene, etc.) surround will perform well.

As far as the comparison you are making there, the D2 uses a 1.3" wide half roll foam surround, whereas the ED A used a 1" wide half roll santoprene surround.

Technically speaking, the 1.3" wide surround is capable of more travel, but not because it's made of foam, because it's wider, and they are the same basic surround design (half roll).

The new ED A will use a more narrow profile surround, which is much taller, and that surround is actually perfectly capable of 4" p2p. It does still have a 1" width, however.

Xsus won't go that far, but the surround could handle it.

This is one of those isssues that will never be resolved. Personally i like foam myself because i have seen rubber suspension change over time, kind of like a limp ass tire. DO i have any tests to prove acoustical variance due to the change in a rubber surround? No. Is one cheaper than the other? Im sure one is but not enough to make any difference at all. So basically i dont think youll ever get a good answer on what is better.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

I have never had this happen on a sub, they maybe diff. types of rubber, but if rubber sits for a long time or gets direct sun light and does dry out and get stiff which could lead to cracking. foam my do this too, I don't know.

My uncle has a cheap clay pigeon lunch that works by using these dog bone looking pieces of rubber, sat out all summer. come fall, first pull back the thing snapped in half.

I have never had this happen on a sub, they maybe diff. types of rubber, but if rubber sits for a long time or gets direct sun light and does dry out and get stiff which could lead to cracking. foam my do this too, I don't know.
My uncle has a cheap clay pigeon lunch that works by using these dog bone looking pieces of rubber, sat out all summer. come fall, first pull back the thing snapped in half.
Either can be designed and/or treated to deal with heat and sunlight.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.