First time builder, triple 10 alpine box

Participant count
  • Participants list

Evil Monkey36

Don't force it
Oklahoma
Hey guys and girls! Still new to the scene and as the description says I'm trying my hand at building a box for the first time and it will be for 3 Alpine 10s shallow mounts.

LET ME STATE IM AN IDIOT AND KNOW NOTHING OF BOX BUILDING.

Vehicle: 2006 Sierra crew cab (behind the seat box build)
Equipment:
Sony 920BT HU
280 amp Brand X Alt bypassed PCM
New yellow top Optima
Stinger 4g tinned ofc amp kit
Phoenix Gold RX 1000.1 (1030@1ohm; 713@2ohm; 452@4ohms)
3 Alpine swt-10s4. (4 ohm SVC 350 rms rating. sealed ideal is .47cft ported ideal is 1.04)

What I figured I would do is a sealed box. It would be the easiest I figured for a beginner. Thankfully I have a master carpenter for a father in law and he wants to get involved too because hes never done a sub box. Personally, I fabricate steel so im no stranger to fabrication.
Thats what I figured would be best. What is actually best I don't know. What I can share that I know is that with 3 4 ohm SVC Alpines rated at 350 rms will not be seeing full power, because my final ohm reading will end up being 1.3ohms-1.7 ohms which will be close but not quite 1 ohm. I also know that you don't want to run an amp wide Fking open. Something that was shared with me was if I want to see results with these 3 alpines and my current amp is to make the 3 individual chambers undersized a little bit, but what do I know? If you think I can get away with ported then let me know please.

I really hope I didnt lose any of you guys in all that mumbo jumbo but I really could use some help finding a sweet spot box build for these subs. I mean they will only be in the ball park range of 225-300rms a piece but I want max efficiency out of those subs with everything considered. Im also up to a challenge if anyone has box ideas for this setup.

Last edited:
I also know that you don't want to run an amp wide Fking open.
Actually class D amps are most efficient at maximum unclipped voltage (though usually not at minimum impedance). Really though, for practical purposes, test bench type stuff has no bearing on just hooking up in your car for playing music and the 3 shallow Alpine subs on a 1000W rated amp in a sealed box should be fine for what you're doing.

I'm not too familiar with that line of Alpine woofer so do confirm that Alpine recommends sealed alignment for those. I suspect they will because they're meant to save space, and the shallow stuff is always very limited mechanically.

You can use separate chambers or share airspace either should do the same thing. The benefit of separate chambers is that if one sub breaks the rest of them won't get hurt as easily also the dividers should help as bracing on your long sides. The key thing you're trying to achieve is to completely seal the rear wave from the front wave off the cone so the box must be 100% airtight and rigid enough not to flex. You would be surprised at how little by way of cone area and power it takes to flex 3/4" MDF so if you do not do divided chambers do add some bracing as needed to keep the long sides supported.

Lastly be sure to dry fit the pieces into your truck before you start gluing to confirm it'll fit where you think it's going to fit and also try to predict if you'll have any troubles fitting it into place once assembled. I'm sure your carpenter in-law will have you covered as far as how to properly glue and screw or glue and clamp. IF you use silicone based sealant/caulking be sure it is completely dry/cured before mounting subs. The fumes from those types of adhesives can damage some foam surrounds.

A couple of things I could have mentioned is the frequency response on these subs is 30-200 HZ. The sealed range is 0.37-0.82cft. Recommended is 0.47. Like what was mentioned to me was go a little smaller because the subwoofer would require less power for maximum volume? But then again, ive heard contradicting things saying you want to oversize the chambers a hair.
Right now I have a ported prefab tbox thats probably in the 40 hz range with 2 of those alpines. Reason I'm adding a third woofer is because I want a little more output than what im getting out of a prefab even though its ported. That and im getting it in a sealed box stupid cheap 🤪

A couple of things I could have mentioned is the frequency response on these subs is 30-200 HZ. The sealed range is 0.37-0.82cft. Recommended is 0.47. Like what was mentioned to me was go a little smaller because the subwoofer would require less power for maximum volume? But then again, ive heard contradicting things saying you want to oversize the chambers a hair.
Right now I have a ported prefab tbox thats probably in the 40 hz range with 2 of those alpines. Reason I'm adding a third woofer is because I want a little more output than what im getting out of a prefab even though its ported. That and im getting it in a sealed box stupid cheap 🤪

You really want to do the perfect box size for you application. Man two of those in a good ported box will be so much better than a pre-fab. You can't manipulate sound with a sealed box like you can with a ported one. If you can fit 3 in a ported box, why not do that? That's what I would do, for sure.

3 of those ported would just be overall better than 3 sealed. Please don't do yourself a disservice and run sealed instead of ported. If you're listening to rap or electronic music or R and B, anything with heavy bass, do ported for sure. I'll give your father in law something fun to build lol, but seriously. Box > equipment, it's way more important to have a proper setup. Run those at 1.33 ohms no problem, that should work well.

Why don't you post up your space that you have to work with? Height, width, and depth.

I've done Q power boxes that crap on expensive setups, all because their box wasn't right and the boxes we designed and built were.

I can design you a box that's really clear on how to put it together.
You really want to do the perfect box size for you application. Man two of those in a good ported box will be so much better than a pre-fab. You can't manipulate sound with a sealed box like you can with a ported one. If you can fit 3 in a ported box, why not do that? That's what I would do, for sure.
Well, if I were to bust out a tape and give you some measurements what would you charge me to design a ported box for 2? As stated its a 2006 Sierra Southern Comfort and it will mount behind the back seats. You got my equipment list. Im up for whatever you got to throw at me in means of design.

3 of those ported would just be overall better than 3 sealed. Please don't do yourself a disservice and run sealed instead of ported. If you're listening to rap or electronic music or R and B, anything with heavy bass, do ported for sure. I'll give your father in law something fun to build lol, but seriously. Box > equipment, it's way more important to have a proper setup. Run those at 1.33 ohms no problem, that should work well.

Why don't you post up your space that you have to work with? Height, width, and depth.

I've done Q power boxes that crap on expensive setups, all because their box wasn't right and the boxes we designed and built were.
I missed this post. Give me a little bit and I'll gladly grab some measurements

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.