Finally, the Jeep JL build

10tw3 should be here Monday, toying around with some cool box ideas, not sure where I'll go with it yet. Plan is to toy around with it, and if I like it I'll order a second. If not, I'll send it back. Love Crutchfields return policy.

Another Update. Decided everything should be pretty well broken in, so I bumped up the gains a bit on the amps. Holy ****. These morels get so loud and remain crystal clear, it's almost unbelievable. The subs are struggling to keep up a bit on some tracks, I may need to push those gains up just a hair. Should be plenty of room left, I left it intentionally low for the first month/month and a half.

Another Update. Decided everything should be pretty well broken in, so I bumped up the gains a bit on the amps. Holy ****. These morels get so loud and remain crystal clear, it's almost unbelievable. The subs are struggling to keep up a bit on some tracks, I may need to push those gains up just a hair. Should be plenty of room left, I left it intentionally low for the first month/month and a half.

Are you talking about the 6.5 subs here?

I messed with them a bit on my way to work. Pushed the power up a bit, my amp and my line driver both have clip lights, so I make sure to stay well south of that point. I got the volume up some, enough to compliment the music, however at one point something strange happened and hopefully I didn't blow them. They started to play louder, but also more loose. Like something let go, not sure. I haven't had time to check them out. There has been no smell from them, no clip lights, and no noticeable distortion at high volumes.

I messed with them a bit on my way to work. Pushed the power up a bit, my amp and my line driver both have clip lights, so I make sure to stay well south of that point. I got the volume up some, enough to compliment the music, however at one point something strange happened and hopefully I didn't blow them. They started to play louder, but also more loose. Like something let go, not sure. I haven't had time to check them out. There has been no smell from them, no clip lights, and no noticeable distortion at high volumes.

They may still be breaking in man.

I've had that happen a lot with DD subs. All of the sudden over a few minutes they get way louder. It has to do with the woofers breaking in. I hope that's what is happening here.

Me too man, just seems weird after a month of playing them several hours a day most days. Fingers crossed, I've been working all day so haven't had time to mess with it. I really don't believe I was overpowering them or clipping the signal, but can't be totally certain of that. Again though no smell or heat. I continued playing them the remaining 20 minutes of my drive and they seemed to play fine, just sounded a little off and louder.

Put another 6 hours on them, I guess they're fine lol. 10tw3 showed up while I was at work today. This is a beefy bastard for a slim 10.

It may just be the nature of the subs and being ported. Those subs seem like trying to make 6.5's heavy bass woofers vs a SQ woofer. Have you tried shrinking the box at all?
I haven't as the box is already undersized according to manufacturer recommendations.

Started on the new box for 2 JL 10TW3's. This box will mount on the rear tailgate, subs forward port to the side. I designed this box myself, 1.2 cubes net volume slot ported to 35 HZ.

Note that the gap seen between the side panels and back panel (back panel faces down in these photos) is simple because I haven't attached the back panel yet, it's jutlst sitting on top. It's actually almost perfect once clamped up and glued.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...