Participant count
  • Participant list

SasquatchBump
10+ year member

SQ is better
Ive been looking into this and this is what I know:

1. Build a skeleton out of wood for your design

2. Sand edges and corners of skeleton for smoothness of 'glass

3. Stretch Fleece (polarfleece fabric????) over the skeleton, stapeling it as you go.

4. Brush a coat of resin/hardener mixture on the fleece. Wait a day or so.

5. Brush a wet layer of resin mixture and apply fiberglass mat onto the resin and coat

the mat with resin.

6. repeat step 5; 3 or 4 times.

7. Sand the crap out of it, using bondo to fill in holes.

8. Primer then paint, wet sand, and paint again.

I need to know if this is a correct procedure, all the sites Ive found on fiberglassing dont have very much information on building on fleece.

Thanks.

sounds good....if you really want good info go to http://www.carsound.com and go to the forums then go to the fabrication section and post there...but it looks like you got a good idea of how to go....but u dont have to wait a whole day....u just need to wait till the fleece/mat is dry and hard before adding next layer......good luck

are you trying to make complex shapes with the box or just wanting to cover the box then paint? If you are using the fiber glass on just MDF to paint it I would use bondo fiberglass reinforced filler. I have used this on few speaker boxes to fill in screw holes and even out rough edges. Then I sanded and primed it. And painted like any other project. The steps you have described are the basic idea. Remember take time sanding And you will do fine.

Originally posted by SasquatchBump Ive been looking into this and this is what I know:

1. Build a skeleton out of wood for your design

2. Sand edges and corners of skeleton for smoothness of 'glass

3. Stretch Fleece (polarfleece fabric????) over the skeleton, stapeling it as you go.

4. Brush a coat of resin/hardener mixture on the fleece. Wait a day or so.

5. Brush a wet layer of resin mixture and apply fiberglass mat onto the resin and coat

the mat with resin.

6. repeat step 5; 3 or 4 times.

7. Sand the crap out of it, using bondo to fill in holes.

8. Primer then paint, wet sand, and paint again.

I need to know if this is a correct procedure, all the sites Ive found on fiberglassing dont have very much information on building on fleece.

Thanks.
Yep pretty much. You can also use a router and round over the edges of the frame it's alot easier that way. When you wet down the fleece with the resin. Be sure to soak it completely. And it shouldn't take a day to dry. If you mix the resin and hardener correctly it should only take a half an hour or so to dry completely. Take your time while your laying your mat. The smoother you lay it out now. The less sanding you will have down the road. And use the bondo sparingly. Remember bondo by itself is extremely weak. So if you have to fill any large voids or anything. Use bondo hair or some sort of re-enforced body filler //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.