Feel like I’m missing out on bass

Participant count
  • Participants list

xPexelz

CarAudio.com Newbie
Michigan
I have 2 dc audio lvl 4 12’s 1500 rms a piece running them at 1 ohm on a Skar skv2 3500. The bass is there but for 3000 watts I was expecting more. I have stock alternator and a xs power d3100 in the trunk big 3 upgrade and dual runs of 1/0 to the amp. All ofc wiring. I do have a high output alternator coming in soon. Will that let the amp put out more before clipping? Any help would be appreciated. I also double checked the ohm load they’re at 1 ohm.

i'm by no means an expert or anything even approaching/approximating that, but i would definitely imagine a HO alternator would help alot, and actually make use of your big 3 & 1/0. However (and i could be wrong here), isn't clipping when you're feeding too much power to the speaker and the sign wave flattens out? I've also heared of headunits sending a clipped signal which doesn't fit with this but i suppose that could be a case of poorly powered too. Other things worth checking are amp grounds and rca quality but you sound like you know your stuff so i imagine that's all fine. Sorry for the lack of answers but hope the new alternator helps 😊

Vehicle, location, and box type will also effect the sound as well. I was expecting much more out of my sub a few months ago too. I had someone design me a box, changed the location, now I feel very satisfied with the boom.

I have 2 dc audio lvl 4 12’s 1500 rms a piece running them at 1 ohm on a Skar skv2 3500. The bass is there but for 3000 watts I was expecting more. I have stock alternator and a xs power d3100 in the trunk big 3 upgrade and dual runs of 1/0 to the amp. All ofc wiring. I do have a high output alternator coming in soon. Will that let the amp put out more before clipping? Any help would be appreciated. I also double checked the ohm load they’re at 1 ohm.

Put your enclosure specs up, and you will see a HUGE difference with a bigger alternator.

i'm by no means an expert or anything even approaching/approximating that, but i would definitely imagine a HO alternator would help alot, and actually make use of your big 3 & 1/0. However (and i could be wrong here), isn't clipping when you're feeding too much power to the speaker and the sign wave flattens out? I've also heared of headunits sending a clipped signal which doesn't fit with this but i suppose that could be a case of poorly powered too. Other things worth checking are amp grounds and rca quality but you sound like you know your stuff so i imagine that's all fine. Sorry for the lack of answers but hope the new alternator helps 😊

Clipping and voltage drop at the amp go hand in hand. People will make clipped signals (where the wave looks more like a square wave the worse the clipping is) because the amp should be a certain loudness. So people turn up the amps sometimes too much to make up for the lack of electrical system. So then you have low voltage and clipping, which really kills your equipment. Makes everything heat up, the sub, the amp, low amp alts are really at full output and struggling.

What's the amperage on your high output alt?
It’s a 250a small case from brand x and box dimensions are 34in wide 14.5in tall 22in deep and the port is 3in wide 29in long kerfed slot port I have the subs inverted facing forward.

Attachments

• 65CB92ED-2640-4468-B04A-1096A506A7E6.jpeg
    65CB92ED-2640-4468-B04A-1096A506A7E6.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 131
It’s a 250a small case from brand x and box dimensions are 34in wide 14.5in tall 22in deep and the port is 3in wide 29in long kerfed slot port I have the subs inverted facing forward.

Do you have the actual cubic footage and what not? Try putting your motors in the box and see how that sounds as well. Sometimes it does make a difference.

I did a set of lvl4 12s in 3.75ft3 60in2 of port and it did great on a bc4k. Wired down, strong electrical and all too. So the power was a bit more. The enclosure was close airspace wise to what you got but larger overall because of port area/length.
Its making the guy pretty happy and his blazer sad.
39in2 of port IS a little low imo.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.