Faint burn smell?

Participant count
  • Participants list

GenY

CarAudio.com Recruit
USA
I sometimes get a faint burning smell that sometimes smells like burnt plastic or maybe even rubber. The smell only lasts about a second or 2 and disappears and this only happens once in a while. I have a 1000 watt MTX Thunder 1ohm into 2 RF P3D4 subs which are rated at 600watt a piece and are wired to accept a 1ohm load. I set my gain and crossovers with the DD1 and the CC1. I also checked for clipping from the headunit which was 34 out of 35. I currently have my max volume set at 25. I have 4 gauge power wire and 4 gauge ground wire. My subs are wired with 12 gauge. My battery is an XS Power 4700 with a 150a alternator. My cars a basic Ford Focus SE. I'm just wondering if this is something that I should be worried about? Or is there a test I could do to see if maybe my amp is clipping somehow? I read that it could be extra resin burning off but idk. I play music from Amazon HD and sometimes from my USB drive. I checked head unit clipping from both sources before and they both were at 34/35. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• AnyConv.com__thumbnail.jpg
    AnyConv.com__thumbnail.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 138
  • AnyConv.com__thumbnail (2).jpg
    AnyConv.com__thumbnail (2).jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 129
  • AnyConv.com__thumbnail (1).jpg
    AnyConv.com__thumbnail (1).jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 120
  • AnyConv.com__thumbnail (3).jpg
    AnyConv.com__thumbnail (3).jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 128
  • AnyConv.com__thumbnail (5).jpg
    AnyConv.com__thumbnail (5).jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
I doubt it's your brakes. When do you smell it? When you're jamming out? Is the blower motor on? Moving or stopped? If it happens when you are moving it's likely something inside the vehicle.

Ya it seems to happen once in a while so idk what it could be. It always happens when Im moving. And ya, my music is full tilt when I smell it. Only lasts for a sec or two.

Ya it seems to happen once in a while so idk what it could be. It always happens when Im moving. And ya, my music is full tilt when I smell it. Only lasts for a sec or two.
Possible clippng during music peaks?

Even tho you've set the levels with the proper tools, playing elevated/boosted recording levels will cause what you're describing.

At least you know when to back off it sounds like. I never did and was grinning all the way till... :eek:

Another important note is that amplifier output varies with frequency. If you set your gain using a single frequency, it's still possible the amp is clipping at different frequencies.

Gotcha. Good to know. Test maybe at a higher freq and see if it clips? I set the amp using the 40hz test tone.

Confused about doing the sine sweep. Do I turn down the gain and change the crossovers like it tells me in the book? I dont get the 40hz detect light on the DD-1 when doing the sweep. I hooked up the leads in the amp and played the sweep. I do seem to get the red distortion light when the sweep climbs up maybe in the 80's or around there but then again I could be doing it wrong?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.