"Expert" friend suggests mono amp for system volume increase

My goal was to Make my car louder. My Buddy said he knew what he was doing when I went to get an amplifier for my car. With his guidance i purchased a mono 1200watt amp. I now know i should have got a 2 or 4 or 5 channel amp, but I'm left with the question can I use this amp to increase the volume on my speakers still or do I just take the 200 dollar hit and get a proper amp. I know i have plenty of other options but I just why to know if the amp I have can be used to accomplish my goal of higher volume. Thank you in advance.

Oh Yea its a cheap walmart amp by jensen so I doubt it's full range.

If you want to get loud cheaply, the best way to do that is to make your own box. Cheap woofers will perform better than people think, if the enclosure is proper.

Would new speakers automatically increase volume out put or do I need both? Is there any one thing I can buy to increase the volume?
Adding some dynamat or speaker baffles will help with both output/efficiency and clarity. I'd start there. If you decide to upgrade gear later those products will still offer some benefit.

OP, I can help you do a full setup if you want, or give you advice. I know a ton of different brands, there's really good stuff out there for your money that you can maybe get louder than you think. I've crapped on people with 2 Q power 15's.

A new headunit could get you some more volume depending on what you are replacing and what you are installing in its place.

Same with just swapping speakers. Could be louder. Could not be. Depends on what equipment. Most car speakers are super low power to work well with the factory amp. So replacing them with higher power speakers isn't going to make it any louder on the same power.

Headunit is always the first thing to replace though as its the source of everything.

Okay awesome thank you. I'm aiming towards mid tier to low because like I said I'm not really savy in the audio world (obviously). Any numbers I need to worry about? Like will 300 watts from the head unit blow up the Walmart sub in the back. if I just get decent speakers and a decent head unit will that accomplish my goal of my ears ringing everytime I leave the car? My genre of choice of heavy metal. Double base, electric guitar, deep angry vocals and cliff does something with the bass guitar I hear. Thanks again for all the help boys!

OP, I can help you do a full setup if you want, or give you advice. I know a ton of different brands, there's really good stuff out there for your money that you can maybe get louder than you think. I've crapped on people with 2 Q power 15's.

No hablo Español. Lol no idea what half of that means. I mean sure I love that I just don't think it'd be too much fun for ya. I'm a broke father of 2 girls. Top 5 Playlist most of the time= "what does the fox say""who run the world? Girls.""shake it off""all about the base""roar" by kp. The Walmart sub is there to stay along with mono amp so that leaves just speakers, 4 channel, and head unit right? Its going in my 12' ford fusion that I now live in because father in law op

If your "buddy" has a decent looking girl and you are into that... make her yours for the trouble.

To answer one of your questions... Yes just changing speakers can make it louder but it isn't the easiest thing to do. Dayton Audio makes a 6.5" midrange speaker that is relatively low power handling but really high sensitivity. They even boast that it is for replacing your factory speakers and adding volume without adding an amp. Here is the link...

Dayton Audio Speaker

If you’ve got a decent shop near by best thing to do would be talk with them and see what they can do. Failing that, or even if you do do that, crutchfield.com is a great place to start. they’ll filter everything by what works with your car (“find what fits my car” or something), I don’t think they sell anything that’s actually bad. If you’re so inclined I’d recommend browsing around their site and maybe reading some of their articles. That’ll give you some basic knowledge that’ll come in handy if you decide not to walk away from this.

You can’t really get much more power out of OEM anything. You can certainly improve upon it but you won’t get too much more. If you’re willing to spend a few hundred on an aftermarket amp and speakers there’s less than no point trying to make OEM louder. Dollars spent on decent cheap aftermarket everything will be much less for what you get then trying to improve stock. Unless you’re after better sound quality, but that’s the only reason to upgrade speakers without the power source.

If you find this sort of thing interesting definitely scroll through crutchfields articles and read whatever strikes your fancy, those articles are intended for people like you and will give you a good foundation for doing your own research, if you’re so inclined.

Today is the day I found 400 bucks on the ground. I'm thinking 4 Chanel amp 4 speakers and a head unit. The amp I see has 1000w. How many should my speakers have and how many should my head have. Sorry I died out on the thread, my car was immobilized for 3 days. Blew the main fuse. Yes I'll admit it, I put my battery in backwards. Don't judge me too hard lol I'm normally pretty handy. My existing setup is 1 mono amp 1 sub stock everything else.

You want an amp, 4 speakers, and a HU for $400
I would just go with one set of component speakers up front (6.5" with 1" tweeters)
With car audio its quality over quantity
Buy better equipment and do the system slowly
The cheap equipment is just that, cheap.
Your going to have to replace it sooner rather than later because it won't last long
Better equipment last longer and sounds better
This should be a no brainer

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...