Escape to Bass - Build

ThxOne
Premium Member

The Boss
Well I got a good platform to build on now. I got a 2005 Ford Escape XLT 4WD. Double DIN opening and room in the open cargo hatch for mucho bass!

20210909-1649461.jpg

20210909-1650201.jpg

20210909-1649371.jpg

Id run a pair of heavy 10s or a pair of 12s. May even run a single 15.Do a nice front stage along with that.Id rip all the existing audio and go fresh with all new wiring and audio.Thats me

Looks to be in decent shape body wise. One thing I will tell you though is the ABS and Cruise Control is connected. When you do front brake or rear brakes on them when pushing back in the caliper it can screw up the pressure sensor on the brake master cylinder. Very common Ford Explorers, Escapes any of those that have 4x4. If it has one it should be mounted on top of the master cylinder. Found out the hard way after my cruise control was messed up for 6 months after doing all the brakes on my '03 Explorer. But good thing I did replace the ABS sensors all 3 of them and the axles as they had sensors as well and 2 back axles had rips in the boots. Fronts were close as well to ripping but with 74K on them eh not all that shocking. IF you want nice 3D printed 6x8 adapters to do 6.5" in them I have a guy on eBay that does nice work for many different sizes for 11 bucks with shipping and up depending on how thick you want them and will do custom pods as well. He has a listing up you just contact him before hand and ask him if you can make this in this thickness and he will have you pay the 11 bucks and then send you a separate bill for any extra materials and shipping. I had him do a 1" thick set, a 1/2" thick set, a normal thickness, a set of custom pods and it was like 60 bucks total with shipping.

Looks to be in decent shape body wise. One thing I will tell you though is the ABS and Cruise Control is connected. When you do front brake or rear brakes on them when pushing back in the caliper it can screw up the pressure sensor on the brake master cylinder. Very common Ford Explorers, Escapes any of those that have 4x4. If it has one it should be mounted on top of the master cylinder. Found out the hard way after my cruise control was messed up for 6 months after doing all the brakes on my '03 Explorer. But good thing I did replace the ABS sensors all 3 of them and the axles as they had sensors as well and 2 back axles had rips in the boots. Fronts were close as well to ripping but with 74K on them eh not all that shocking. IF you want nice 3D printed 6x8 adapters to do 6.5" in them I have a guy on eBay that does nice work for many different sizes for 11 bucks with shipping and up depending on how thick you want them and will do custom pods as well. He has a listing up you just contact him before hand and ask him if you can make this in this thickness and he will have you pay the 11 bucks and then send you a separate bill for any extra materials and shipping. I had him do a 1" thick set, a 1/2" thick set, a normal thickness, a set of custom pods and it was like 60 bucks total with shipping.

Thanks, that is good info. It is the XLT and has 4WD with ABS and Cruise. Apparently it is Fords "Intelligent 4WD" meaning it is front wheel drive until it detects a tire slipping then it transfers torque to the rear tires as needed. We will see how it handles light snow.

I am going 6x8's in this one I think. Infinity Kappa's or RF Power. The Kappas are more shallow even though I have 2.77" depth in the front doors. RF's are 2.68" deep and the Kappa's are 2.33" deep. I'd love to find those old Pioneer 6x8's, the ones that say for Ford and Mazda on them with the woven cones and polyester dome tweeters. I miss those. I had a pair in my Ranger. A pair of those with a 10" IMPP Pioneer sub and a 4 channel RF Punch 400.4. Bought it all at Circuit City.

Depends on your budget:

HeadUnit: Get a headunit that has a nice EQ and Sub control. There are a lot out there. Try and find an old Pioneer DEH-80PRS
Front Doors: https://www.cdtaudio.com/main_series/hd/hd62cv.php
Rear Doors: https://www.cdtaudio.com/coaxials/hd6eix.php
For mids and highs: https://caraudiobargain.com/sundown-audio-sfb-200-4/
Sub: https://caraudiobargain.com/sundown-audio-sav2-15-d2
Sub Amp: https://caraudiobargain.com/sundown-audio-sfb-1500d/

Get a custom box built for the sub. I would do 3 cu.ft tuned to 35hz. Sub forward, port to passenger side. Or sub up and port back.

I have had the Scosche adapters and they are flimsy compared to the guy I linked up above. His are top notch, thicker and has multiple ID available vs those Scosche ones.

Ford Factory Radio Removal tool in hand. Dash kit ordered. Wire harness ordered. 1 pair of 6x8's ordered.

Under the hood is a brand new Duralast Gold 96R battery (previous owner)
Stock Alternator is 130a
This Escape has RAP - Retained Accessory Power.

First priority is making sure the Kenwood fits nice in the dash. I already have my little Deadpool hanging from the mirror. Cell phone mount is in. I am going to run the Stinger 4000 series 6 channel RCA's down the passenger side. 0awg power down the divers side. Should begin install in about a week.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...