Dual 15 box w/ aeroport (3k RMS)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jonnyswboy

CarAudio.com Exclusive
Vehicle : 2010 Mazda 6

Location in the vehicle: Trunk

Space available (Length x Width x Height): 35Wx14.5Hx30D (might be able to get a little more but need to measure again)

Subwoofer make and model: 2x American Bass HD 15 (1500RMS each)

Subwoofer Size: 15

Number of Subwoofers: 2x

Amp: Taramps 5000.1

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Aero

What type of music do you like?: Whatever has a lot of long bass notes lol

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: Everyday music with max possible SPL

Tuning Freq (Hz): 34 desired

Volume : As close to 6.5ft3 Net as possible

Questions: I'm thinking 90-100in2 port area but I've heard aeroports don't need as much area, is that a myth? I'm going to have the entire port outside of the enclosure coming into the cabin to maximize trunk space.

Also I don't know if it's even possible to fit an 11" tube with the box height. I've only used slot ports so I don't know if I should use PVC or a concrete form.

Last edited:
Good advice above.

Even if your stuck trying to come up with something decent the best I could come up with is single ply & baffled, braced with dowels. A 9.5" sonotube (they are never all the same... so you gotta pick one) 23" long all external. Smallish airspace too. 100% not the best idea.
It'll be mufugly as hell but if you try something like this I take no responsbility. A forward firing port out of the trunk subs up/port forward is just asking for all knds of acoustic problems unless you have tested it 1st in THAT vehicle and know it works.
The bracing and displacements are neighborhood figures but close.

Honestly... its just not really doable.

Good advice above.

Even if your stuck trying to come up with something decent the best I could come up with is single ply & baffled, braced with dowels. A 9.5" sonotube (they are never all the same... so you gotta pick one) 23" long all external. Smallish airspace too. 100% not the best idea.
It'll be mufugly as hell but if you try something like this I take no responsbility. A forward firing port out of the trunk subs up/port forward is just asking for all knds of acoustic problems unless you have tested it 1st in THAT vehicle and know it works.
The bracing and displacements are neighborhood figures but close.
View attachment 27853
Honestly... its just not really doable.
I already have a single 15 facing up and port facing the cabin in the same configuration and it sounds great. I would be willing to go to two 12s if I need but I really think I could fit two 15s. You don't think it would sound good with a 10" flared port?

Also 14.5" is my real height limit. I was accounting for the double baffle because I'm used to using **** calculators without the option.

Last edited:
I already have a single 15 facing up and port facing the cabin in the same configuration and it sounds great. I would be willing to go to two 12s if I need but I really think I could fit two 15s. You don't think it would sound good with a 10" flared port?
The outer flare on a 10" is pretty big (15") and even if you reverse it and drill mountng holes in the back flare (14") your cutting it down to match the box height.
Add some port area because its 9.9" ID and tuning goes up for a standard 22" BAP. Plus figure 21" effective length (shorter) and good luck finding one too. . Hey... its your car

This was a single 18 in like 5.5ft3 on a 4K @ .5... 3Kish.
View attachment 27854
She did ok

I think I can make this fit. How does this look if I can make the port work? Wondering if I should just scale the whole thing down a touch. Subs on side opposite of port double baffle.

I know this calculator *****. I'll finalize when I get to my computer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210410-131911.jpg
    Screenshot_20210410-131911.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 121
View attachment 27871

I dont know what to say
Subpro ***** listen to shredder and the others it just isn't going to take 2 15" subwoofers in a ported a single 18" or dual 12"

Alright alright.

This sub in a 5.5ft3 w/ 100in2 slot port tuned to 32hz?

Last edited:
I'd just make sure the mounting depth will work and a double baffle will be needed for sure. Why did you put the subs on the side on your last attempt?
With that 5K in a trunk I think a pair of 1500w 12's will be your best bet. I'd just trunkwall the thing.

I'd just make sure the mounting depth will work and a double baffle will be needed for sure. Why did you put the subs on the side on your last attempt?
With that 5K in a trunk I think a pair of 1500w 12's will be your best bet. I'd just trunkwall the thing.

Yeah I will keep the depth in mind. I put the subs on the side to get more height and save money on the double baffle. And I wasn't sure two 15s would fit on top.

Also I decided to go with the 8k Taramps (it's $10 more lol) so I think l will be okay to push all 3.5k to that 18".

I really appreciate the help by the way. I will definitely look into walling off the trunk.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.