Double-Din touchscreen head unit for sound quality

Participant count
  • Participants list
Hi everyone,

with black Friday and Cyber monday deals going on, I figured the time to buy a nice head unit is now. I have a 94 Bronco, completely sound dampened, with 3 amplifiers. I am getting a double-din conversion kit for it, so I am wondering what double-din head units would be great in terms of audio quality. I would be connecting it to my Samsung Galaxy S8 via Bluetooth. Most of my music is pre-loaded on my phone, mostly FLAC files (thank god for Samsung's 256gb SD card compatibility). In terms of music streaming, I only use Amazon music on my phone so I'm not really concerned with the head unit's streaming features or anything, but rather, I want the best possible sound quality and a touchscreen for ~$250-400.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

BND

pioneer, alpine and Kenwood all make decent head units. Pioneer being my favorite, mostly because they have a few units with built in DSP. JVC makes a decent budget head unit also. Do you have amplifiers or subwoofers In your bronco?

pioneer, alpine and Kenwood all make decent head units. Pioneer being my favorite, mostly because they have a few units with built in DSP. JVC makes a decent budget head unit also. Do you have amplifiers or subwoofers In your bronco?

three amplifiers. One is a 1200W Rockford powering a 12" 750W sub in a ported enclosure. The other amplifier power 6x9 speakers in the back seats and the tweeters on the dash. The last amplifier powers my door speakers which are 7" midbass woofers. I would LOVE a DSP in a head unit!

In my opinion, nothing beats pioneer head units. Not that others aren’t also nice. I ran Kenwood in my last build, and although it didn’t have DSP built in, the crossovers in the unit worked well. I rarely use the crossovers on the amps, so I run full range amplifiers and control my crossover points from the head unit. I’m definitely doing a pioneer in my upcoming build and running active components on a 4 channel amp. Note that not all pioneers have DSP, but they have several models that do.

In my opinion, nothing beats pioneer head units. Not that others aren’t also nice. I ran Kenwood in my last build, and although it didn’t have DSP built in, the crossovers in the unit worked well. I rarely use the crossovers on the amps, so I run full range amplifiers and control my crossover points from the head unit. I’m definitely doing a pioneer in my upcoming build and running active components on a 4 channel amp. Note that not all pioneers have DSP, but they have several models that do.

Could you name a few Pioneer units that have the DSP? I'm willing to pay more if it has a DSP really. But I'm having trouble finding them.

anything 180$ and above will have active network capabilities.

Happy to see you replying to another one of my questions, you practically built my system by explaining everything to me about a year ago - thanks for that.

I'm looking at the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX. It seems to be a good head unit and has a lot of features that DSPs would have. The website states "With a Pioneer NEX in-dash receiver, sound quality features like built-in Auto EQ and Time Alignment, 13-Band Graphic Equalizer with touch panel swipe settings and built-in high/low pass crossover with adjustable points and slopes provide you with the controls to tailor the listening experience to your vehicle and listening preferences."

I mean dang, that's a lot of features that standalone DSPs have. It's a $450 unit (may be more lowered for cyber monday - I guess we'll see), but seeing as I could probably hold off on getting a dedicated DSP, atleast for now, due to its features, it seems like a no-brainer. Only downside I see is it's not fully HD, but it's not like I'm gonna watch movies on it ever.

What do you think?

Thanks!

BND

Happy to see you replying to another one of my questions, you practically built my system by explaining everything to me about a year ago - thanks for that.

I'm looking at the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX. It seems to be a good head unit and has a lot of features that DSPs would have. The website states "With a Pioneer NEX in-dash receiver, sound quality features like built-in Auto EQ and Time Alignment, 13-Band Graphic Equalizer with touch panel swipe settings and built-in high/low pass crossover with adjustable points and slopes provide you with the controls to tailor the listening experience to your vehicle and listening preferences."

I mean dang, that's a lot of features that standalone DSPs have. It's a $450 unit (may be more lowered for cyber monday - I guess we'll see), but seeing as I could probably hold off on getting a dedicated DSP, atleast for now, due to its features, it seems like a no-brainer. Only downside I see is it's not fully HD, but it's not like I'm gonna watch movies on it ever.

What do you think?

Thanks!

BND
thats fine but literally a cheapo 240 dollar 1400 nex would give you the exact same audio features.

thats fine but literally a cheapo 240 dollar 1400 nex would give you the exact same audio features.

Good point, I completely missed that. I'm just probably gonna go with the AVH-2500NEX. The 1400NEX doesn't have Android auto, nor does it have CD playback, which I like because I listen to a bunch of underground metal that isn't on any streaming service. For $285 it seems like a decent price.

Or, actually, the 2550NEX. It's the same price as the 2500NEX but has remote control and dual camera features. The backup camera is also a pretty decent option, the Bronco, while not long, is extremely wide and often reverse parking is a hassle, so this should be absolutely mint!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.