Does remote wire tolerate a short?

Participant count
  • Participant list

TighterLeak

CarAudio.com Newbie
Quick question guys,

what happens if remote wire (blue) gets shorted accidentally? Would this damage a head unit?

I'm asking as it's a low-current circuit, many DIYers aren't good at crimping (including myself) and when you push the wired unit in the dash you ultimately can't see what's going on back there.. Especially when there's a ton of wiring and it's really packed in there.

Cheers

Can't say I've ever had one fail but i would think it would have an internal protection circuit just like the speaker outputs. You short the speakers and the headunit goes to protect until they are fixed and the headunit resets I'd assume that to be true with the remote wire as well.

I have never had one short. You probably need better crimpers if you are worried about them coming apart. I always tug on the connection after I crimp to ensure good connection. Any short in your electrical system is not good in general, you can always add a fuse inline to add some protection.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...