Does it make difference??

krayzinsane
10+ year member

Detroit
Im going to buy Kicker comps vr 12".. I have two choice either to get them in 2 ohm or 4 ohm. what should i get them in. Does it make a differnce for what amp I choose. I want the best bang for the buck and am going to spend $250 or less on the amp...what one should i get.

A dual voice coil subwoofer has two voice coils, each with its own set of amplifier leads. DVC subwoofers offer more wiring options than SVC subwoofers when selecting an amplifier.

If you get the 2 dvc, you could wire them parallel. This would produce a 1 ohm load and it would be good for mono amps that are 1 ohm stable.

If you wire them in series you will get an 4 ohm load, recommended on 2 channel amps with 4 ohm load bridged.

If you get the dual 4 ohm subwoofer, you could wire them parallel and get an 2 ohm load, good for amps with 2 ohm load capable.

So this will depend on what kind of amp your gonna get.

For example if you pair your subs with an Kicker KX400.1 mono amp, it produces 400 watts rms at a 2 ohm load. So the 4 dvc sub wired parallel will be good with this amp. If you get the 2 dvc sub and wire them in parallel and get 200 watts rms from the amp. You can't series them because the amp is not 1 ohm stable.

link on the kicker amp

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/KIC04KX4001

link to kicker comp vr subs

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/KIC03CVR122

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/KIC03CVR124

scroll down on the subwoofer page and you could check the subwoofer

wiring options by clicking the it, it's beside the impedance rating of the subs.

Hope this helps good luck.

Of course it matters what amp you get. If you look well enough you may be able to snag a JBL BP1200.1 for 250. If you did you would want the 2 ohm subs. I had this amp at one time with 2 Rockford Punch HX2 12's and it was a great amp, only lacking in a subsonic filter. But you could get a crossover to act as one. Mucho bang for the buck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.