Does brand matter purely in terms of sound reproduction?

DavideBianchini

CarAudio.com Newbie
In terms of being able to reproduce the original sound (unmodified), I was wondering if there is any difference between say a Kenwood vs. Boss receiver. I'm not talking in terms of features, but simply just accurate and clean sound reproduction.

I normally buy either Sony or Kenwood units because of their 10 band EQ and signal processing. But I also found a BOSS unit for cheaper with also a 10-band EQ. So I'm thinking why spend twice as much, if all that matters to me is the quality of the sound.

Thank you,

Davide

In terms of being able to reproduce the original sound (unmodified), I was wondering if there is any difference between say a Kenwood vs. Boss receiver. I'm not talking in terms of features, but simply just accurate and clean sound reproduction.

I normally buy either Sony or Kenwood units because of their 10 band EQ and signal processing. But I also found a BOSS unit for cheaper with also a 10-band EQ. So I'm thinking why spend twice as much, if all that matters to me is the quality of the sound.

Thank you,

Davide
Yes.
Less expensive brands will typically use lesser quality components, be made to less strict quality standards than their higher costing competition. I use Kenwood eXcelon head units but I would be just as happy with Sony or Pioneer as long as their specs fit my needs.
Lesser quality components may allow more noise into the audio signal and they may not last as long. The head unit is arguably the most important purchase.

Yes.
Less expensive brands will typically use lesser quality components, be made to less strict quality standards than their higher costing competition. I use Kenwood eXcelon head units but I would be just as happy with Sony or Pioneer as long as their specs fit my needs.
Lesser quality components may allow more noise into the audio signal and they may not last as long. The head unit is arguably the most important purchase.
(y) (y) Nicely Put

Thank you for the helpful reply. Do you happen to know of anyone who has done side-by-side comparison testing the audio between an expensive and cheaper head unit? Maybe the differences were significant years ago, but perhaps things have changed? Companies like BOSS and Jensen have been around for years. One would think they have improved their sound quality over time (hopefully).

Thanks again.

-Davide

Thank you for the helpful reply. Do you happen to know of anyone who has done side-by-side comparison testing the audio between an expensive and cheaper head unit? Maybe the differences were significant years ago, but perhaps things have changed? Companies like BOSS and Jensen have been around for years. One would think they have improved their sound quality over time (hopefully).

Thanks again.

-Davide
Some of the brands we knew back in the day have been passed around so many times it's crazy. Now many of them are owned by companies putting out very low quality gear trying to ride on the old school reputations of the brands. Stuff like Soundstream, Precision Power, HiFonics. It's a long list and kinda sad that so many good brands are now known to be junk.

I don't know of any side by side source unit comparisons.

Some of the brands we knew back in the day have been passed around so many times it's crazy. Now many of them are owned by companies putting out very low quality gear trying to ride on the old school reputations of the brands. Stuff like Soundstream, Precision Power, HiFonics. It's a long list and kinda sad that so many good brands are now known to be junk.

I don't know of any side by side source unit comparisons.

That is quite unfortunate, and not what I was hoping to hear. I was thinking of trying out the new Boss BE9ACP floating 9" unit, or the latest Joying 9" unit, but from reading this forum, I am beginning to think I should stick with my usual Sony / Kenwood / Pioneer units.

-Davide

That is quite unfortunate, and not what I was hoping to hear. I was thinking of trying out the new Boss BE9ACP floating 9" unit, or the latest Joying 9" unit, but from reading this forum, I am beginning to think I should stick with my usual Sony / Kenwood / Pioneer units.

-Davide
Alpine is another Id throw within this Mix

A solid 4v or 5v headunit should give you what you are looking for. It would be nice to find an old Eclipse 8v headunit though. It usually comes down to is it worth the $100 or $200 risk of taking the chance of buying a piece of shitt head unit. The head unit is pretty much your lead singer in your system. If you don't have a good lead singer then your band is going to sukk regardless of your musicians. Don't believe me, take Jagger out of the Stones (analogy). I would lean towards Pioneer, Kenwood, and Alpine.

Last edited:
Companies like BOSS and Jensen have been around for years. One would think they have improved their sound quality over time (hopefully).
Jensen head units have always been pretty decent. I'd avoid the gutter brands (Boss, Soundstream, or any **** you never heard of) at all costs. They perform poorly and fail quickly. I have personally noticed noise floor issues just in the entry level line of good brands like Kenwood or Pioneer vs middle of the road and higher offerings.

Depending on everything else you have it may or may not prove an audible difference in your car but out of everything the source unit is the absolute last bit you want to cheap out on when buying.

I've had great results with Sony head units and they seem very fairly priced for their features. If you absolutely must see for yourself how bad the cheap ones **** please buy from someplace with a good return/exchange policy.

I still have some VII and VIII series that are still running excellent and are over 20+ years old , and built like tanks ,and have bought many newer amplifiers that lasted maybe 2-6 years????
HiFonics was hit or miss with their equipment. Some models were solid, some were total junk. And even within certain models it was hit or miss at times. Nothing against HiFonics in general, it has just never been top tier equipment or a brand I would call reliable quality-wise.

Actually Joying isn't a bad brand.

too add, Joying is one of the few current units that are available in the US that has copper digital out (Sony RSX-GS9 is limited to optical, please correct if I am incorrect). It is the whole Pioneer ODR Reduex of a by gone era.

This matters if wanting to feed a digital signal into a DSP. Irrelevant if using analog out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...