Do I really need more than 1 run of 0ga to the back?

mat3833
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
florida
So I've got my lithium bank assembled and I'm working on getting the front battery out and everything mounted.

Currently I have a single run of Knukonceptz Kholosus 1/0 to the back, once everything is installed it will be about 10 feet of cable from the distribution block up front to the bank behind the drivers seat. It's a little hard to measure exactly, but 10 feet is the absolute max length.

I've got the big 3(technically 4 on my car) done, and a very solid chassis ground in the back. I will not be getting a giant alternator for the time being, but I do intend to put in a 200a alt or higher in the future. Currently my charging voltage directly at the alt is 14.582v cold and I'm reading 14.534v at the distribution blocks in the rear.

With my run being so short can I get away with the single 1/0 or do I really need to add another run?

Mqtt

I have never really saw a point in multiple positive and grounds unless the alternators output exceeded the power wires amperage limit.

With my DC 270 I had a single power and ground running front to back. I then doubled them after a lot of people saying I should and noticed zero difference...

Now with my 320 alt I have a single power and ground front to back with EB Flex 2/0 which can handle 320 amps no issue.

I have never really saw a point in multiple positive and grounds unless the alternators output exceeded the power wires amperage limit.

With my DC 270 I had a single power and ground running front to back. I then doubled them after a lot of people saying I should and noticed zero difference...

Now with my 320 alt I have a single power and ground front to back with EB Flex 2/0 which can handle 320 amps no issue.

I've always been of the same thought. No need to have 6 runs of welding cable if you are only running 200a of power. And in my case my factory alternator maxes out at 120A and my 1/0 can carry 300a no issues at 10 feet.

Matt

320 alt and two Xs power agms. 1 run of 1/0 ofc and no issues, I’ve done temp checks and it doesn’t even get hot. I’ve run AC 123v with 200-400 amps on 1/0 fine strand with no problems before (4-8ft length).

Honestly I think it'd be cheaper and safer just to run bigger wire to carry the load then multiple runs...electricity runs along the path of least resistance and there's no guarantee that every run will have the same resistance...

So I've got my lithium bank assembled and I'm working on getting the front battery out and everything mounted.

Currently I have a single run of Knukonceptz Kholosus 1/0 to the back, once everything is installed it will be about 10 feet of cable from the distribution block up front to the bank behind the drivers seat. It's a little hard to measure exactly, but 10 feet is the absolute max length.

I've got the big 3(technically 4 on my car) done, and a very solid chassis ground in the back. I will not be getting a giant alternator for the time being, but I do intend to put in a 200a alt or higher in the future. Currently my charging voltage directly at the alt is 14.582v cold and I'm reading 14.534v at the distribution blocks in the rear.

With my run being so short can I get away with the single 1/0 or do I really need to add another run?

Mqtt

Interesting you brought this up because I spoke with Robert over at limitless lithium, and this exact question came up.

My scenario is even different I have a 320a Mech man alt on the way for my 2018 F150 and he said that there is no reason to double up. Just run 1 run of positive and neg from the Alt directly. This is to isolate the lithium system from the AGM.

He also said that yes, guys do link their lithium after their AGM and do not isolate but eventually they will get a failure. A Stinger battery isolator is required running from the alt to the lithium in the cab.

Screenshot_20220814-211941.png

1 run should be fine knu can handle quite a bit of current

I have one run from front battery to rear battery, then two runs from rear battery to amp. The main reason is i despise running wire and couldn't find a path i was happy with for multiple runs.

I have one run from front battery to rear battery, then two runs from rear battery to amp. The main reason is i despise running wire and couldn't find a path i was happy with for multiple runs.

I feel that. I found a route to completely hide my 1/0 run to the back. Not an easy task in a German car unless you go under the car. I'm only going to have the single LTO bank so my main concern was starter draw. But it's a small 4cyl so it shouldn't be an issue.

Matt

Good OFC 1/0 can move a lot of power. I will have 2 320amp alts on my Silverado. It's a crewcab fo my runs are more like 15/17 feet. I will run 2+ and 2- runs to give me expandability if I need it. I dont want to fk with it later.

Mqtt

How many watts are you going to be running? Which amp(s)?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...