Do I need to beef up my elec system?

tweekerz
10+ year member

Chicago
I will be powering my veh with about 1500 watts to a single 15 such as the XXX. Also an interior amplifier would be used. Thats almost 1700 watts or so. I have a factory battery and alternator.

Do I need to upgrade? I plan on using this setup for competiton and daily driving also. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks,

Andrew

The local stereo shop recommended me to do things in this order...

1. optima yellotop

2. anl fuse holder

3. isolator

4. then another battery

5. anl fuseholder

6. capacitor

7. another capacitor

8. distribution block

I probably dont need half of this stuff since he is trying to make money. But then again I am not so sure...

get an alt first! none of the stuff listed can put out additional amp's so you wont be making any progress. you dont need almost all of that stuff besides a battery(maybe). the fuse & the dist block you should already be using, unless you are only using one amp then you only need the fuse. a cap WILL NOT SOLVE your problem.

Yeah, they didnt recommend the alt. I noticed it doing researc.

The alternator I am looking at is this...

HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR 135 AMPS, I hope that is somewhere in the ballpark for what I will need...

Its for use with multiple batteries....Get a bigger alt, and don't worry about it.
So the optima yellow top along with the 200 amp alternator should be fine it sounds like. Regarding capacitors, will i need one? And if so, do i need the 16 or 20 volt cap?

So the optima yellow top along with the 200 amp alternator should be fine it sounds like. Regarding capacitors, will i need one? And if so, do i need the 16 or 20 volt cap?
Dont buy a cap, with a HO alt it's pointless. do some searches on caps there is tons of debate, but most people will tell you not to buy one. granted there are some rare situations where you would want a cap, this is not one of them.

Get a 200 amp one from nate, his prices are great...99% of the people i haven't heard go over $300 for a 200 amp alt...usually like $280 for 200 amp. Go with that instead of 135...and you'll be set...won't even need a yellow top. Just replace your stock battery with a red top! peace

NG

I agree, my stock alt is 135 and i badly need to upgrade myself, and I'm only running about 1200w. Might talk to Nate myself this summer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.