DIY Custom Toolbox Boombox built with Car Audio Gear!

bigdwiz
10+ year member

Old School Rulz!
NC
I've been wanting to build my own boombox for about 20 years, so I recently decided to hack my trusty Rubbermaid 21" Plastic toolbox into a portable car stereo "boombox".

Here are the components I used:

Source - Alpine CDA-9813 CD/MP3/WMA (with V-Drive high power built-in amplifier)

Sound - MB Quart FKA116 - 6.5" 2-way (not my 1st choice, but had them already)

Power - 12v 11ah sealed lead acid battery (around $30 from eBay)

Extras - 12v lighted switch, analog 12v meter, binding post speaker terminals, 20A fuse with 12ga power/ground wire, dual RCA bulkhead connectors, vinyl sound deadening material, marine wire antenna and more...

The first video I created shows the individual components of the build. I'll soon upload another video showing the build process and give a sound demo of the (semi-completed) unit.

Feedback, good, bad or neutral is appreciated!

Click link below to see the components in 1080p!

1069180489_2ANQ8-M.jpg

Yeah I like it! How do you think that battery will hold up time wise? I have been thinking of doing a cooler since I have all the equipment. Just need the time to do it! ! ! !
I've done a test at almost full volume (in the garage) and I was able to get almost 4 hours playback (3:56, if I remember correctly). I'm going to put this in a upcoming video where I'll show the timelapse....

Thanks for the comments!!

I want to build an "old school" boombox next using my Boston Pro 5.4's, JL 8W1 and a RF Punch 45HD. I'm looking for ways to keep the box relatively light...maybe fiberglass or plexiglass? Plexi would sure look cool, but I've never worked with it, or fiberglass for that matter. Any suggestions?

I've added another video update on the Toolbox Boombox and could not find a way to edit my original post. This shows a walk through of the build and a completed sound demo at the end!

See the update below or click the link to see it in full 1080p goodness!!:

i think this is awesome to say the least
Thanks, man! It is a 1st Gen build and I have some grandiose ideas for my next "boombox". Honestly, the plastic toolbox is not a very good enclosure and even with sound deadening material, it rattles quite a bit. I must take the handle off when playing it loud, even when using the internal x-over of the Alpine to send only 80hz and up to the 6.5's. I may enclose each speaker, this should help!

I also recently built a subwoofer add-on, but I went a little overboard...I'll put up more information in the next week or so....

You could use the rear speaker outputs to drive a dual voice coil 8" sub, some decks have low pass filters for the rear speakers, not sure if that Alpine does.
Dude, that is BRILLIANT! The 9813 HU does have a built-in x-over and I bet this idea would work great (I'll just have to ensure the rear channels can be set to low pass, they may be high pass only).

MUCH lighter than my original design (which required a separate amp and battery!). I'll put this idea to the test soon and post the results...

I just checked the owner's manual for the 9813 and the internal amps are crossed over for HP only (makes sense when you think about it). I should be able to find a small amp (alpine 3922, RF Punch 45hd or maybe even one of the Sure digital amps from Parts Express) to power a single 8" DVC for some extra low end.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.