Disappointed with Kicker Comp R.

That's exactly why I went with the 10" adapters.

I'm still undecided on if I want to get the Audiocontrol LC2i Pro or an aftermarket head unit. I'm not really a fan of the newer touchscreen radio and would rather have a double DIN Kenwood with a volume knob.
Don't waste your time with the lc2i didn't help me one bit, still had a lack of bottem end bass. Just get a aftermarket radio that is compatible with maestro and order a maestro kit for your truck that's what I did and all was well.

Don't waste your time with the lc2i didn't help me one bit, still had a lack of bottem end bass. Just get a aftermarket radio that is compatible with maestro and order a maestro kit for your truck that's what I did and all was well.
That's a bit general don't ya think? One size fits all? just say'n...

Download Power Amp Equalizer. It has a 32 band EQ curve and variable input gain from the DAC in your phone. Set the input gain to like +5 and boost 30-40hz +3db for the low end bump similar to a ported box (still won't be as loud as one tho)

Another thing you can try is try moving the box further and closer away to the loading wall that is firing towards. My SQL12 in a sealed box got much louder when I put moved it about 3-4 inches away from my hatch.

If you are hurting for space and can't fit a ported box, you could try using a passive radiator to get low end extension without sacrificing too much space. The downside is that passive radiators usually have more distortion but it's likely you will not care, let alone notice unless you measure the distortion with a meter. Downside is building a new box

Could be voltage drop. Sealed boxes have more excursion over the entire bandwidth unlike ported boxes and the amp has to use more power to control the cone (keep in mind that it takes power to throw the cone, but it takes even more power to make it come to a stand still especially on a sealed box cause of the air spring). When I switched that same subwoofer over to a 1.75 cubed ported box, the voltage became much more stable and I could be more liberal with tbe gain, even with the +5 input from Power Amp Equalizer. My second subwoofer I had was a Comp R 12 inch in their prefab ported box and it had pretty decent low end excursion, however I didn't care for how little port area it had. Maybe like a 4x2 inch mouth

Hopefully you can figure it out man. Nothing is more disappointing to me than getting a nice setup I paid good money for only for it to deliver well below expectations

Last edited:
Download Power Amp Equalizer. It has a 32 band EQ curve and variable input gain from the DAC in your phone. Set the input gain to like +5 and boost 30-40hz +3db for the low end bump similar to a ported box (still won't be as loud as one tho)

Another thing you can try is try moving the box further and closer away to the loading wall that is firing towards. My SQL12 in a sealed box got much louder when I put moved it about 3-4 inches away from my hatch.

If you are hurting for space and can't fit a ported box, you could try using a passive radiator to get low end extension without sacrificing too much space. The downside is that passive radiators usually have more distortion but it's likely you will not care, let alone notice unless you measure the distortion with a meter. Downside is building a new box

Could be voltage drop. Sealed boxes have more excursion over the entire bandwidth unlike ported boxes and the amp has to use more power to control the cone (keep in mind that it takes power to throw the cone, but it takes even more power to make it come to a stand still especially on a sealed box cause of the air spring). When I switched that same subwoofer over to a 1.75 cubed ported box, the voltage became much more stable and I could be more liberal with tbe gain, even with the +5 input from Power Amp Equalizer. My second subwoofer I had was a Comp R 12 inch in their prefab ported box and it had pretty decent low end excursion, however I didn't care for how little port area it had. Maybe like a 4x2 inch mouth

Hopefully you can figure it out man. Nothing is more disappointing to me than getting a nice setup I paid good money for only for it to deliver well

Hopefully you can figure it out man. Nothing is more disappointing to me than getting a nice setup I paid good money for only for it to deliver well below expectations
This is a Quad Cab Ram, so unless I take the back seat out (which I'm not 100% against...) I am stuck with the underseat box.

No I have personal experience in his situation with a ram
Okay, but the inference is that the Acubass doesn't work and it does do what it says it will do, I've seen it do just that. The OP may have a bigger problem that the Accubass can't address so there is that too.

Given the small-ish box, location, other things, you are probably right, it may not help if those other limitations aren't addressed..

This is a Quad Cab Ram, so unless I take the back seat out (which I'm not 100% against...) I am stuck with the underseat box.
Might have too. Turning the port around makes a huge difference because there is something for the sound wave to load off.

Hoffman's law : Space, Efficiency, or Low end extension, pick 2

You can definitely get good bass out of 1 sealed cu ft. The JL 13Tw5 uses 0.8 cu ft sealed and it slams (just an example). The 10w6v2 uses 0.6, SA10 uses 0.5. There are quite a few out there, so no need to toss out that box.
That's over triple the price of the CVX. That price is egregious especially when you could get an SI SQL12 that will obliterate that JL with just a slightly larger box (.7 I believe)

That's over triple the price of the CVX. That price is egregious especially when you could get an SI SQL12 that will obliterate that JL with just a slightly larger box (.7 I believe)
It is expensive. But my point was that a different sub can definitely rock that box. I saw there is a flat 10" SI sub that surpasses the JL 10tw3 in independent tests. So that is another option.

It is expensive. But my point was that a different sub can definitely rock that box. I saw there is a flat 10" SI sub that surpasses the JL 10tw3 in independent tests. So that is another option.
I got you 😁 just hate the JL nuthuggers who defend them to the death when ID and SI poopy all over their entire line up makes me feel like I have to say something.

Not saying you are one

Last edited:
I am very satisfied with every JL product I have acquired, but there are so many quality brands I have not tried. So there could be better stuff out there.
Absolutely nothing wrong the product. But they and other big names like Kicker are like Apple products. Not bad by any means, just excessively overpriced and if you say that, the people who Stan over those companies will be like "you're not the target audience"

True. I'm not a sucker.
Again not trying to knock you or anyone else, as it's all comes down to what makes you happy with your money

I think on that kind of power, that a single ported 10 would serve some justice for you.
Ive used a pair of these and they got down on one my PPI Phantom 1ks. Damnned good subs. I should have kept them. Been a nice addition for the 2500HD under rear double cab seats

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...