Different Size Subwoofers In Different Enclosures and Amps

Participant count
  • Participants list

DanielM266av

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'll cut right to the chase, I'm planning to build the most over the top sound system in my car that will make any sense. I'm building it slowly and piece by piece, in the end it will consist of a component 6 speaker system in the front and 2 rear fills. Now as for the subwoofers I have always been a fan of 12's but have recently been appreciating 8's for different reasons. Essentially what I want to do is have the 12's play the really low frequencies on one double enclosure built appropriately to have the correct tuning and volume, and two 8's in their own respective enclosures with their own amp and tuning. I'm aware they can sound muddy or even cancel each other if crossovers are not set properly. I guess what I'm asking is, can I make it work and sound good? What positioning would work best? Should I have the 8s in the kickpanels or in the cargo area with the 12s? Also any recommendations for the subs themselves or even the amps as well would be appreciated. I know this is kind of a hostile topic to discuss, it's just an idea I had and I completely understand how it can go wrong if I don't tune the subs properly, and if I don't select the correct frequency responses.

Edit: I did forget to mention the 12s will be ported and the 8s sealed.

Run the 8's as midbass up in the cabin of the car
Do sealed fiberglass enclosures
If you can fit them in your front doors with the rest of your soundstage it would be ideal
Skip the rea fill, it's just a waste
Run active with crossovers or better yet a DSP
AS for equipment, depends on your budget
The first stage is the hardest to overcome because of all the hidden costs (wire, glue, screws, carpet, sawblades)
You will save a ton of money if you learn how to do it yourself
For example fiberglass enclosures for the front speakers will cost you $1000+ at a shop or $200 to do yourself
It can be intimidating at first but it's not that bad once you get started
A box for the subs will run you $400 or more at a shop or $100-150 if you do it yourself
I'm not sure what the going rate for labour is around you but it's like $150/hr around here and installing is very time consuming.
The best part of doing it yourself is that when something goes wrong you know where every wire and screw is
It is so much easier to troubleshoot

Run the 8's as midbass up in the cabin of the car
Do sealed fiberglass enclosures
If you can fit them in your front doors with the rest of your soundstage it would be ideal
Skip the rea fill, it's just a waste
Run active with crossovers or better yet a DSP
AS for equipment, depends on your budget
The first stage is the hardest to overcome because of all the hidden costs (wire, glue, screws, carpet, sawblades)
You will save a ton of money if you learn how to do it yourself
For example fiberglass enclosures for the front speakers will cost you $1000+ at a shop or $200 to do yourself
It can be intimidating at first but it's not that bad once you get started
A box for the subs will run you $400 or more at a shop or $100-150 if you do it yourself
I'm not sure what the going rate for labour is around you but it's like $150/hr around here and installing is very time consuming.
The best part of doing it yourself is that when something goes wrong you know where every wire and screw is
It is so much easier to troubleshoot
I’ve never experimented with fiberglass enclosures. I’ll have to look into it. It actually never even crossed my mind. I think it’ll work out. I have done fiberglass speaker pods for the A pillar, which is what I intend on doing again for this build.

It depends on the enclosure, amp and speaker tuning. If you plan to have a 12 in one box tuned for low frequencies (125-150hz), then two smaller sized subs sharing an enclosure with higher response than 125 Hz will be difficult unless they are all wired properly together so that when the high frequency sounds from one sub hit another.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...