Denovo Anarchy 704s Not giving me good midbass

Hi everyone,

I have a 1994 ford Bronco with the Denovo Audio Anarchy 704s in the doors, the doors are well sealed and noise insulated. I am running them with a Pioneer GM8604 bridged, so they're getting 200W per speaker. For some reason, they can get loud but I can't seem to get the midbass out of them. I was expecting that thump to my chest with these speakers but it's not anything like that. It's just a very muddy sound. I am crossing them over with a JL Audio TWK 88 from 100-1500Hz. I am very new to building car audios, crossovers, etc, so I am almost certain this is an issue on my end and not the speakers or equipment, but I couldn't find this issue somewhere else. Could someone help me figure out what could be wrong?

Thank you!

BND

what do you expect your only playing them down to 100HZ LOL.....i dont know the specs on those but they should have no problem playing down to at least 60 on a steep slope

what do you expect your only playing them down to 100HZ LOL.....i dont know the specs on those but they should have no problem playing down to at least 60 on a steep slope

The Fs is 45Hz or so, so I figured around 2x Fs is a good crossover frequency, but perhaps I'm wrong. Again, any advice greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Just noticed you added the 60Hz part. Ok I'll try that. The TWK88 has slopes as steep as 48dB/octave so that's probably what I'll do. What should my sub be crossed at then? I have a 12" Image Dynamics in a ported box powered by a 1200W power supply.

BND

Last edited:
Good advice above, try it. I've run mine as low as 40Hz @ 12dB but only for lower power setups. For higher power setups I usually go with 50Hz @ 18dB, but you can squeeze even more volume from them if you do like mentioned above. Crossing at 50-60Hz @ 18dB to 24dB. All depends on what presentation you're after and at what volume levels.

Here's mine crossed @ 40Hz with some Bass Mekanik. No sub playing.

Good advice above, try it. I've run mine as low as 40Hz @ 12dB but only for lower power setups. For higher power setups I usually go with 50Hz @ 18dB, but you can squeeze even more volume from them if you do like mentioned above. Crossing at 50-60Hz @ 18dB to 24dB. All depends on what presentation you're after and at what volume levels.

Good stuff, thank you! Will try. What is the upper crossover point? I have mine around 1400-1500Hz.

Thanks!

Good stuff, thank you! Will try. What is the upper crossover point? I have mine around 1400-1500Hz.

Thanks!
I settled on 1200Hz with a tweeter that can very comfortably meet them down that low. They don't like to be taken too high because of the cone breakup. They can get pretty strident if you try to use them much above 1500Hz unless you really address the breakup with a proper notch filter. The notch filter can be applied in the form of an LCR trap using passive components, OR you can apply the notch in the form of EQ cut that is only applied to the Anarchy drivers and BEFORE applying the upper crossover. This would let you cross higher for a proper 2-way that is being asked to play loudly. And it won't shred your ears in the 2-3k range.

Well, neither of you were joking. I went down all the way to 55Hz and dear lord, with the subi in the back and these monsters, it's like getting slammed in the chest with a baseball bat.

@JRsmoothee I am running 2x Alpine Hiend 28mm twetters out front (their Fs is 750Hz, so I'm running them at 1400 or 1500Hz, the Anarchys in the front, 2x 6x9" Alpines in the back and a 12" sub in the trunk.

@ciaonzo I will try that. I just got some pretty good results with quickly trying to go to 55 and 60Hz, and i have a long drive ahead of me tomorrow, so I'll stick with it until I get back. I'll fine tune then.

But my oh my am I happy with how it's sounding so far!

Thank you!

im 3 way
sub = 40hz 12db
midbass= 60hz-250hz 24db
midrange= 350hz 48db - 4000hz 24db
tweets= 4000hz+ 48db

What are the "dB" values at the end of your list here? Again, somewhat of a newbie in setting all this up, I'm learning as I go. Where do you set these values, DSP? I only have this column I can change the dB values. Should this be where I set my sub to 12, midbass to 24, etc...?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just realized, you probably meant as in dB of the crossover slope, correct?

BND

Actually, I'm still not quite satisfied with the current results, I think it could be better. I mostly listen to metal / rock, so bear with me here, but if I turn down the sub all the way, there isn't much of a "kick" from the Anarchys. Is there a reason for that? I'm running them down to 55Hz @48db and up to 1400 Hz at 24db. They are powered by a bridged GM-D8604 from pioneer, so they're getting 200W each at 4 ohm. Any more hints? I know it's all about fine tuning, but just want to figure it out. I did notice it varies from song to song. Some songs sound very dry, like the Anarchys are quite and some are like an onslaught. Does this just mean it's the music I'm listening to?

The doors are sealed, and heavily sound dampened. I used steel to cover up the large hole in the door and I sealed the smaller holes too.

Again, any help appreciated, thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

BroncosNeverDie
Washington
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date