Dayton Ultimax 10" Gettin' Hot!! Questions...

Participant count
  • Participant list

ThxOne
Premium Member

The Boss
Ok, I swapped out my Punch P3D4 for an Ultimax 10. It sounds outstanding and has some serious low end. My question is how long does the hot voice coil smell happen? I play normal, HiRes music of the Jazz, Rock, Alt, Metal and it shines. I play some serious low droppin bass music and I get 30 seconds into some hella vibrating and here comes the voice coil smell. I know these subs are tough but should I be worried? How close is the sub to blowing the coils when I smell it? Could my RF Prime 1200-1 sub amp at 1ohm be too much for this sub? I know when I play bass music the cone gets crazy hot too.

Last edited:
Last edited:
!
500 watts RMS power handling

Q: Hey guise, I'm running over double rated power to this sub why does it smell bad?
A: Clipping.

Never chance CA.com
I know the amp is rated at 1200w. I am not feeding the sub a constant sine wave though. If I had to guess, 750w-800w. Will know here soon. I am heading out to the car here in a few to hook up the O-scope/DMM
I was more worried about "breaking in" the sub. My RF P3D4 was "new" but it was broken in already by the stereo shop. Plus, there is no smell with non sub bass music. I am sure it is clipping though with ya'lls input. I will let you know.

When it comes time "new guys" to listen to the people on this forum, there should be no argument. Just listen to them.

Sub smells like burning electrical wires... As stated, it's CLIPPING!!

Thanks Popwarhomie and hispls.

She was clipping like a mother ^@%#$

I set the gain with a 40hz -10db tone. 27.38v @ 1ohm = aprx. 750w
BEFORE
20200729-122930-HDR.jpg

AFTER
20200729-123045-HDR.jpg

Sub smells like burning electrical wires... As stated, it's CLIPPING!!
I was being facetious. It smells like burning coil because he is putting over double rated power to it.

Clipping is the Boogeyman term used a lot by people who don't really understand electricity but it's as simple as you are putting power into the coil faster than it can be shed. Within the thermal limitations of the coil a square wave won't automatically burn it up.

Go ahead and buy a 4 inch 8 layer coil "team" sub and try to burn the coil up with a 500w amp

Which is still well over the rated limit for that Dayton. The fact that it's stinking at all tells you that you are over powering it how it's this a mystery to you?
No, I didn't know just how much power I was sending to it. I actually went out a second time yesterday and set the subs EQ flat in the 360.3 and reset the gain for the sub amp, broke out the mic, reset the subs EQ then played with the systems EQ again.

No, I didn't know just how much power I was sending to it. I actually went out a second time yesterday and set the subs EQ flat in the 360.3 and reset the gain for the sub amp, broke out the mic, reset the subs EQ then played with the systems EQ again.
I believe the 363 tells you to set the amps gain to 0 and they set the signal accordingly when you do the configuration. Thats how I have my sub amp setup, You shouldn't smell anything unless you are overpowering at that point.

I believe the 363 tells you to set the amps gain to 0 and they set the signal accordingly when you do the configuration. Thats how I have my sub amp setup, You shouldn't smell anything unless you are overpowering at that point.
Yeah... it got a little warm but I don't think any damage was done. It's in its original shipping box chilling for a future build. The coils measured fine. 1.9 x 1.9 ohms.

I decided to put the Dayton back in the car... this time at 4ohms and not 1ohm. My Punch prime amp says RMS 400w @ 4ohms and 499w Dynamic @ 4ohms. So back in the box it went at 4ohms and I adjusted the gain by ear, max undistorted volume, no eq or crossover changes and up the gain went. I got it to an output where it is comparable to the Punch P3 on music. I beat the hell out of it with Bass Boy, D.J. Magic Mike, Ron C, Morbid Angel, Thomas Dolby (Pop Culture) and when I got into the trunk and touched the cone it was BARELY warm. No more hot burning coil smell either.

EDIT: This box is the closest to Shredder's recommended enclosure for this sub. 1.40cu.ft. @ 35hz.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.