Damn cold *****!

I grew up a hour south of Chicago and was used to snow coming down back in the day starting around Halloween sometimes. Plus I use to snowmobile all over this state and the UP of Michigan. Lived on the river and back then I loved the summer and winter since we had a Speed Boat, Pontoon Boat, I had jet skis, quads, dirt bikes, between us and the 2 neighbors we had 10-15 jet skis at any weekend, 4 Speed Boats and 3-5 Pontoon Boats as well. Winter it was always 8-10 of us minimum sometimes we had as many as 20-25 of us, from the time I was 12 and could go with the adults snowmobiling starting back in '86. I also lived on Siesta Key, Florida for close to 2 years as well. Moved up to a hour north of Green Bay in Fall of 2001. It took me a couple winters to get used to the cold again after living in down there for those close to 2 years. But now that I am older and my extremely rare genetic syndrome causing all my issues. Anything above or close to 75 and I have the 2 a/c units on as I can't stand heat and humidity anymore because it messes with my syndrome so bad. Normally people do better with this stuff in the heat and I am the opposite I look forward to Fall/Winter with cold temps and snow. I despise Spring and Summer now. And any time it goes up more then 10 degrees in one day it messes with me bad as well to the point I may end up staying in bed all day because of how bad it will drain my energy. Temps affect me really bad now like that which ***** and they never used to. Hence why I am NOT looking forward to Tues/Weds and the 38 degrees they are saying we will get when we have been below zero and will be 18-20 till Sunday when it goes up to 30.
Damn hang in there bro that sounds pretty rough my mom is like you and she lived in Michigan when she was a kid and always likes the cold better now that I'm in the garage with the heater on I'm fine. Got it nice and cozy in here going to finish up the insulation and paneling and I'll be snug as a bug going to get my car done in here anyway been working too much overtime in one delay after another and I can't stand to not be doing it now.

20210215_081712.jpg

Damn and that's in Louisiana man it's pretty but I'm not going to hit the like button lol. Nawlins food ftw, and crxs too. About the best system cars around with their cabin gain. I'm preparing to do an install in a 2007 Civic SI coupe right now. The sub forward ports loading to the back glass sealed off from the rear idea definitely occurred to me hehe.

Back in the spring of '86 living on the Kankakee River we had 4.5 feet of water in our house as it was on the ground. Over that summer we raised it up to 10.5 feet off the ground and at one point had the record in Illinois for highest house in a flood zone. Been there done that stuff with floods and we said never again. Used 4 massive hydraulic jacks that raised the house equally over a period of 3 months at a couple inches a day over a 8.5 hour day of work for them. I can't remember the exact number they did each day but it was close to that. We did 10 feet of 24" thick Concrete with cross body 2" rebar with no more then a 6" gap between them vertical and horizontal then topped it off with .5 a foot of concrete cinder block to rest the house on with two huge doors one in front and rear that we could open up whenever it would flood for the water to flow through and not cause any issues.

Back in the spring of '86 living on the Kankakee River we had 4.5 feet of water in our house as it was on the ground. Over that summer we raised it up to 10.5 feet off the ground and at one point had the record in Illinois for highest house in a flood zone. Been there done that stuff with floods and we said never again. Used 4 massive hydraulic jacks that raised the house equally over a period of 3 months at a couple inches a day over a 8.5 hour day of work for them. I can't remember the exact number they did each day but it was close to that. We did 10 feet of 24" thick Concrete with cross body 2" rebar with no more then a 6" gap between them vertical and horizontal then topped it off with .5 a foot of concrete cinder block to rest the house on with two huge doors one in front and rear that we could open up whenever it would flood for the water to flow through and not cause any issues.
That is awesome and now it's an amazing place and view on the water I'm certain!!!! adapt and overcome!!!!
I live on the Elkhorn Creek here in Kentucky and the water comes up close sometimes but it never comes across the road as the road is elevated from the creek really well.
No substitute for living on the water it's worth it!!!

Damn and that's in Louisiana man it's pretty but I'm not going to hit the like button lol. Nawlins food ftw, and crxs too. About the best system cars around with their cabin gain. I'm preparing to do an install in a 2007 Civic SI coupe right now. The sub forward ports loading to the back glass sealed off from the rear idea definitely occurred to me hehe.
Sounds like a fun project ..have you seen the video of my single 12 in the trunk doing 151.9 in my 06 Mustang? It was completely in the rear and no sealed off trunk...the magic box 📦

Yeah, Texas is pretty fucked right now. We got screwed by people thinking it won’t be that bad. We have had 20 minutes on 20 minutes off of power for 48 hours now (not bad). My buddy went without power for almost 48 hours and drove to his in laws. Other buddy lost power and lost his water pump and other buddy lost power and pipe burst. My parents have no water either. Yet some of my family haven’t lost power for one minute.

Yeah, Texas is pretty fucked right now. We got screwed by people thinking it won’t be that bad. We have had 20 minutes on 20 minutes off of power for 48 hours now (not bad). My buddy went without power for almost 48 hours and drove to his in laws. Other buddy lost power and lost his water pump and other buddy lost power and pipe burst. My parents have no water either. Yet some of my family haven’t lost power for one minute.
I wasn't expecting it to be so bad in Louisiana either ..I left water running in both my houses but I can't get to either to check ..im terrified of pipes bursting and flooding my houses with no way to check..roads here are nothing but ice ..the hwy department isn't prepared for these once in 25 year events ...

Opposite end of the spectrum
My parents have a place in Palm Springs that they normally spend the winters at. October to April but Covid has put a damper on that.
When they pack up in the spring to go home they have to put all the candles in the fridge or else when they come back they will be puddles on the counter.
Someone else mentioned Siesta Key.
The last place they had was there. Right on the beach I love it down there but they got rid of it a few years back.
I think they figured their luck was going to run out eventually when it came to the Hurricanes.
Plus trying to fly direct into Tampa from Vancouver is impossible. 8-10 hour layovers in Chicago or Dallas make for a shitty day of travel.

We’re having a “snow storm” here in Texas. Rolling power outages, gas shortage, school/business closures, water pipes bursting. So yeah, no projects going on down here.
I just saw all these pics on buzzfeed of people's **** frozen inside or their homes and apartments. Ones person's fish tank was frozen
Apparently anything below 45 is freezing in texas(?) Which defies science
Also, do they not insulate homes in Texas because here in missouri we've had ice storms that have knocked out power for over a week and while it's cold inside its still manageable

I just saw all these pics on buzzfeed of people's **** frozen inside or their homes and apartments. Ones person's fish tank was frozen
Apparently anything below 45 is freezing in texas(?) Which defies science
Also, do they not insulate homes in Texas because here in missouri we've had ice storms that have knocked out power for over a week and while it's cold inside its still manageable
Well it’s been averaging around 30 where I live. And yeah, we insulate our homes, just nothing compared to what y’all do up there. This is by far the most snow I’ve seen in my life, and I’m 37. I was having as much fun as my kids walking around in it. The most snow I remember as a kid were small piles in shaded areas that melted away within a day. So this is wild to us.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.