Custom Horn w/ Adafruit Soundboard - Amp Fuse Popping

Participant count
  • Participants list

TheMobius40

I am attempting to install a custom car horn with an Adafruit soundboard. The issue I am having is that the main amp fuse blows whenever the board sends a signal to the amp.

The system is quite simple; power runs to the board and amp, the board is connected to the amp via rca cables, and the amp is connected to a standard PA speaker. The components are powered through the cigarette lighter port (I know this is known as a lazy power solution, I'm trying to make the system somewhat portable).

Here is an image of the setup:

https://imgur.com/XIzkxHZ

The sound board is on the left and power connections at the top.

When the system is plugged in, everything is fine. As soon as the board sends a signal, the fuse in the center pops.

Thank you for any insight.

Nope, car horn. As far as I know this still falls under car audio.

I am not by any means an expert on electrical systems; hopefully the issue is just a rudimentary oversight on my part.

I am attempting to install a custom car horn with an Adafruit soundboard. The issue I am having is that the main amp fuse blows whenever the board sends a signal to the amp.
The system is quite simple; power runs to the board and amp, the board is connected to the amp via rca cables, and the amp is connected to a standard PA speaker. The components are powered through the cigarette lighter port (I know this is known as a lazy power solution, I'm trying to make the system somewhat portable).

Here is an image of the setup:

https://imgur.com/XIzkxHZ

The sound board is on the left and power connections at the top.

When the system is plugged in, everything is fine. As soon as the board sends a signal, the fuse in the center pops.

Thank you for any insight.
A: Because you're trying to power an amp with factory 18awg wire.

B: Because your fuse is too small as well. DONT FIX FUSE UNTIL YOU UPGRADE YOUR WIRE.

Test this with a 2ft or so of large AWG wire. 4-8AWG. Place amp close to battery and test it that way. Fuse accordingly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.