Crack in foam of my X8

recone.... the sub is only a few months old. I don't have any Sundown retailers here in spain.maybe sundown could give me a hint? I don't want to glue it, screw up the foam and then loose warranty either...

thanks
Well, then you have to find a tough durable silicone-type adhesive/glue to patch the hole. One that will NOT adversely affect the foam as LosIsATool pointed out so untactfully!

John Kuthe...

Well, then you have to find a tough durable silicone-type adhesive/glue to patch the hole. One that will NOT adversely affect the foam as LosISTool pointed out so untactfully!
John Kuthe...

thanks bro, bought some E6000, hope it will fix it

Aha, valid point. The solvents in any adhesive may adversely affect plastic foam. Good point.
I once fed an unusually large number of packing peanuts into a small glass bottle with just a small amount of gasoline in the bottom of it! Afterwards I had a little sticky liquidy mass of solvent melted packing peanuts, probably polystyrene or whatever polymerized plastic they made the packing peanuts from.

Best for the OP to get the whole speaker reconed if they want to get a good long life out of it. Plastics never last well. Some better than others for sure, but they will ALL be reclaimed by Mother Nature and entropy, eventually.

John Kuthe...
That Is the dumbest thing I ever heard... recone a whole sub because a little hole in the surround. I've used amazing goop on every hole I've ever had in a surround. Shlt cures in like 10mins. Will last a lifetime. no need to recone a perfectly working subwoofer.

Just be sure and let the repair stuff you use to cure/dry completely before putting the sub woofer back in service. To optimize your repair!
John Kuthe...
Sounds like u typed that right off the label of how to use adhesive... fvcking noob

That Is the dumbest thing I ever heard... recone a whole sub because a little hole in the surround. I've used amazing goop on every hole I've ever had in a surround. Shlt cures in like 10mins. Will last a lifetime. no need to recone a perfectly working subwoofer.
Define "lifetime"! Plastics never last forever, they get dry, crack, fall apart, etc.

Where were YOU "Oh Experienbced one!" recommending stuff to the OP in the first place? Nowhere I saw.

John Kuthe...

Define "lifetime"! Plastics never last forever, they get dry, crack, fall apart, etc.
Where were YOU "Oh Experienbced one!" recommending stuff to the OP in the first place? Nowhere I saw.

John Kuthe...

Surrounds arnt plastic.... they arnt like the old JL audio surrounds that rot out after 10years. Amazing goop on alittle hole on a surround will last forever. I have an audiobahn woofer from like 2000 with amazing goop on it and it's still holding to this day.

Surrounds arnt plastic.... they arnt like the old JL audio surrounds that rot out after 10years. Amazing goop on alittle hole on a surround will last forever. I have an audiobahn woofer from like 2000 with amazing goop on it and it's still holding to this day.
Yeah, just keep telling yourself this! I have one word for you: entropy!

John Kuthe...

Heuristically speaking entropy increasing in the Universe means everything is tending towards a state of less order. Notice a brand new shiny car never ever appears spontaneously in Nature! But if you take a brand new shiny car and put it in Nature and leave it alone for a long time and Nature WILL break it completely back down to it's constituent substances! Entropy only moves one way in the Universe and that's forward towards a more disordered and homogenous state! It takes a lot of WORK to reverse particular examples of reversing entropy by producing a thing like a brand new shiny car! Or a killer audio system in one!

John Kuthe...

Heuristically speaking entropy increasing in the Universe means everything is tending towards a state of less order. Notice a brand new shiny car never ever appears spontaneously in Nature! But if you take a brand new shiny car and put it in Nature and leave it alone for a long time and Nature WILL break it completely back down to it's constituent substances! Entropy only moves one way in the Universe and that's forward towards a more disordered and homogenous state! It takes a lot of WORK to reverse particular examples of reversing entropy by producing a thing like a brand new shiny car! Or a killer audio system in one!
John Kuthe...
You do realize entropy has to do with the amount of useful thermal energy in a system? Entropy increasing does not mean that matter will be broken down to its constituents...

Completely different animal, plus know quite a bit about adhesives and plastics, chemistry, etc. You are engaging in baseless ad hominem attacks.
John Kuthe...

You...are so full of BS...words cannot say enough.

How do you expect people to take you seriously when really your just talking out your ***?

You have an EE, all of a sudden a chemist, a RN...what the **** are you?

You know nothing about car audio compared to the rest of us. Those that know what they're doing and have fixed/repaired, troubleshooting, etc. when it comes to car audio, you just need to keep your mouth shut and listen more.

You...are so full of BS...words cannot say enough.
How do you expect people to take you seriously when really your just talking out your ***?

You have an EE, all of a sudden a chemist, a RN...what the **** are you?

You know nothing about car audio compared to the rest of us. Those that know what they're doing and have fixed/repaired, troubleshooting, etc. when it comes to car audio, you just need to keep your mouth shut and listen more.
I'm old, I've been a lot of things. Right now working as an RN, a job that's hard to outsource: direct patient care. Looking at retirement soon!

John Kuthe...

OP, can you provide a pic of the small hole in your surround?

There's no reason for a recone if the hole is as small as a pinhole. Now if it was a tear, rip, etc. then yeah a recone might be the better option.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

XxAndreaxX
spain
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Boomin_tahoe
IMG_1309.jpeg