Couple questions about sound deadening that I haven't seen answered.

Participant count
  • Participants list

Alex Jarrell

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I'm looking into sound deadening my car but I have a couple concerns that I haven't seen addressed anywhere.

Starting off, since one of the main goals of sound deadening is reducing road noise, I'm concerned about how well it will do this.  Do I need to be worried about being less able to hear other cars like ambulances, fire trucks, police cars, or even just people honking?  I can't imagine that just putting in dynamat will cut off all sound from the outside world but I'm worried about the effect of having it installed combined with having music playing.

My second concern is about heat retention.  I live in the south and my car is solid black with a black interior.  I'm already aware that I should consider going with heat resistant deadening material so it doesn't come off in the heat.  If I add an extra layer of stuff in my doors and floor and whatnot, am I just going to make it easier for heat to get trapped in my car?  It's already approaching 95°F in the shade where I live and I have to park in direct sunlight at work so my car already gets dangerously hot and I'm not looking to make that any worse.

Finally, will sound deadening my doors make it harder for me to install new speakers?  I'm thinking I'll probably want to put new speakers in my car at some point, but I've been told that sound deadening should be one of the first steps I take to improve my car's sound quality.  I've been looking online at a bunch of instructional videos and articles on how to install deadening material, and all of them look like they would get in the way of taking it and putting in speakers in the future.

So I'm looking into sound deadening my car but I have a couple concerns that I haven't seen addressed anywhere.

Starting off, since one of the main goals of sound deadening is reducing road noise, I'm concerned about how well it will do this.  Do I need to be worried about being less able to hear other cars like ambulances, fire trucks, police cars, or even just people honking?  I can't imagine that just putting in dynamat will cut off all sound from the outside world but I'm worried about the effect of having it installed combined with having music playing.

My second concern is about heat retention.  I live in the south and my car is solid black with a black interior.  I'm already aware that I should consider going with heat resistant deadening material so it doesn't come off in the heat.  If I add an extra layer of stuff in my doors and floor and whatnot, am I just going to make it easier for heat to get trapped in my car?  It's already approaching 95°F in the shade where I live and I have to park in direct sunlight at work so my car already gets dangerously hot and I'm not looking to make that any worse.

Finally, will sound deadening my doors make it harder for me to install new speakers?  I'm thinking I'll probably want to put new speakers in my car at some point, but I've been told that sound deadening should be one of the first steps I take to improve my car's sound quality.  I've been looking online at a bunch of instructional videos and articles on how to install deadening material, and all of them look like they would get in the way of taking it and putting in speakers in the future.
it reduces resonance and road noise. Its not gonna block out high frequency sounds like the ones you are talking about. It will just make a flimsy corolla feel more like a BMW at best but its not gonna work miracles. You still have windows and the thin glass will still be your main source where sound goes through. 

Deadening actually helps your insulate your car rejecting heat when its hot and keeping heat in when its cold. especially if you use some kind of heat shield material over your CLD tiles.

Absolutely not. There's nothing that would make it harder if you just make a wooden baffle/spacer for your door speakers and properly gasket it. 

i'd place signal processing + power aka DSP and amps Or head unit swap over sound deadening in terms of actual performance increases in the system because you can do a full proper tune with that which makes the biggest night and day differences. Then sound deadening and acoustical treatments and speaker selection and positioning are both close 2nds.

Hey hommie! :fro:

Thanks for raising your concern.  As you may be aware, luxury cars have better insulation / padding that gives you that 'ohh, ahh! factor when you close them doors and the thud is solid with no ringing afterwards.

Sound deadening your car not only reduces road noise, it does not provide a total silence like a recording studio, so you will still be able to hear emergency vehicles if one was behind you whilst you are driving so that is reassuring to know. :graduate:

There are also different types of sound deadening,  There's a bitumen based like sticky tar ones like Dynamat then you have a new sticky foam ones you can get as well.   You can used them both, I have used the bitumen one in the inner curved panel of the car door and inside as well to seal the access holes. I then applied the foam one over the bitumen based one sparingly. 

Would be a good idea to keep the stock plastic cover as it protects rain water seeping in.  Also a good idea to re-use the speaker adapters / and rear speaker plastic shielding for water damage.  Also re-use the thin foam surround they have around the stock speakers as they all help in achieving better 'mid-bass' up front.

You don't have to cover the whole door, just use it sparingly but 'knock' on the panel to check no ringing is present.   Hope this helps you out mate!

1519974072689.jpg

1389145902967.jpg

1389246831319.jpg

Oh, the pics I posted was doing a false floor hence the 4x2 timber that was added with 'liquid nails' and then plywood attached over it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.