Couple questions about agm battery bank

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bass so loud it HZ

CarAudio.com Regular
Just got a new cheap 95 ah agm battery .havent installed the battery yet wanted to get it fully charged before i install it .my smart charger wont go above about 80 to 90 percent full no matter what battery i use. not sure if its faulty or what . how many volts should it be charged to be consider full ? Also i have a xs power d6500and it will only charge to 12.3 .is there any point in leaving it hooked up or could it cause problems with my other batteries ?

Any national chain parts store will be able to load test those batteries for you to confirm they're good or bad and where your alternator will charge may be dependent on the ECU of your vehicle.

³
Any national chain parts store will be able to load test those batteries for you to confirm they're good or bad and where your alternator will charge may be dependent on the ECU of your vehicle.
Ok I put a battery tester on them a lil while back and one was weak but not fully dead. My systems in a 04 jeep grand cherokee so im not sure on the whole ecu thing. I just put a 320 amp alt in with the big 3. Hooked the new battery up today and i am holding charge alot better but if im at full tilt it will drop into the low 12s so i thinl im gonna add another batter. Do I need to charge the batteries or will my alternator charge them enough ? And with that battery being weak is it doing me any good leaving it hooked up ?

³

Ok I put a battery tester on them a lil while back and one was weak but not fully dead.
You really should take it out to a parts store with a proper load tester. Handheld versions aren't terribly accurate and if one battery is iffy I wouldn't consider adding it in with a nice new battery and alternator, it'll only cause undue stress on the good stuff.

Your Jeep may well just charge low from the factory and you may need to externally regulate your alternator to get a good charge. I'd contact the manufacturer tell him where you're charging and ash what options they have.

You really should take it out to a parts store with a proper load tester. Handheld versions aren't terribly accurate and if one battery is iffy I wouldn't consider adding it in with a nice new battery and alternator, it'll only cause undue stress on the good stuff.

Your Jeep may well just charge low from the factory and you may need to externally regulate your alternator to get a good charge. I'd contact the manufacturer tell him where you're charging and ash what options they have.
Ok thanks.i already have a 320a with the big 3 and i have a external regulator on the way along with better battery terminals that i can connect multiple wires into. i only had 1 run of 1/0 going from the front to the battery bank so i just ran a 4 awg from alternator back to the battery bank until i can get another 0 gauge. That helped it a little bit but it still drops to around 12 if i crank it at idle tho.

That helped it a little bit but it still drops to around 12 if i crank it at idle tho.
12V is well within the range of acceptable voltage for most mobile electronics. How much power you're leaving on the table not feeding your amps better will depend on which amps you use and it may or may not be worth the investment of money and space to add more batteries or multiple alternators.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...