Couple of taramps questions

spokey9

5 time International Booty Bandit Gold Meldalist
NE AR
I'm new to taramps (and full bridge) but I got smart 3 installed...I've been running it about 2 weeks now and a couple things strike me as odd...

The fans start up when i power on but shut off right after...every other amp I've had with fans either stayed on when powered or never came on til the amp got hot...so I'm not sure if this is normal...

The other thing is the gain...even when turned all the way down I get good movement from my subs...they're rated 1200w for the pair and I got them wired to 4ohm...I'm figuring since the amp produces quite a bit more power then the subs need is why...but again this is the first amp I've own that turning the gain all the way down didn't effectively shut off the subs...

Everything sounds good...no floor noise from the amp...the subs are clean sounding...those 2 things just strike me as odd so I figured I'd ask...

If you wanted the fans to run for a short bit after shutdown you could wire in some capacitors to the fan circuit. A 10farad super cap will likely run the fan for at least 5min after shut down. Noctua fans are pretty easy upgrades on those amps.

As far as the gain. It depends id say your radio is nearly maxed out when you turn the gain all the way down. If the radio is at 40 of 40 and putting out the full 4v even on low gain the amp will still amplify the signal just not as much. Turning the volume down reduces that 4v to fractions of a volt in which the amp needs higher gain setting to amplify properly.

And bass correction, bass boost, eq all needs to be taken into account.

An abundance of power shouldn't be an issues as the amp should be able to be urned down enough to set to whatever output level, below the amps max, that you want

The fan is normal. All Taramps amplifiers with fans do this. The fans come on at start up for a second, then they only come on if the amplifier gets hot.

The fans are just strange they turn on startup on the turn off quickly...my amp isn't getting hot or anything so it's not a big deal I just think it's strange 😂

I don't turn my hu up past 40...I think max is 55 on it (it's a pioneer deh-x8800bhs) and it's a 5v preamp...I set my gain with a flat eq and never use any bass boost (deck or amp)...I can get it down enough to not over drive my subs...it's just odd that even turned all the way down my subs don't get quiet...

The fans are just strange they turn on startup on the turn off quickly...my amp isn't getting hot or anything so it's not a big deal I just think it's strange 😂

I don't turn my hu up past 40...I think max is 55 on it (it's a pioneer deh-x8800bhs) and it's a 5v preamp...I set my gain with a flat eq and never use any bass boost (deck or amp)...I can get it down enough to not over drive my subs...it's just odd that even turned all the way down my subs don't get quiet...

have you messed with your sub volume control on you deck to lower the sub output?

I'm new to taramps (and full bridge) but I got smart 3 installed...I've been running it about 2 weeks now and a couple things strike me as odd...

The fans start up when i power on but shut off right after...every other amp I've had with fans either stayed on when powered or never came on til the amp got hot...so I'm not sure if this is normal...

The other thing is the gain...even when turned all the way down I get good movement from my subs...they're rated 1200w for the pair and I got them wired to 4ohm...I'm figuring since the amp produces quite a bit more power then the subs need is why...but again this is the first amp I've own that turning the gain all the way down didn't effectively shut off the subs...

Everything sounds good...no floor noise from the amp...the subs are clean sounding...those 2 things just strike me as odd so I figured I'd ask...

Fans are normal. They kick on at startup and then only turn on when needed.

The gain being all the way down just means you have a "high" input signal. Nothing bad at all.

Everything is pretty normal.

Matt

have you messed with your sub volume control on you deck to lower the sub output?
Yeah sub level is maxed when I set the gain (its one of the things that stuck from hanging out at the shop as dumb kid 😂)...I've always done that though since the my first deck with sub controls though...I back it down to what sounds best afterwards...

My question. Why are Taramps so reasonably priced? I mean 3k for $259? Are they quality amps? Just asking cause I have no experience with them?
I got no complaints with smart 3 except no bass knob (but the indicator light thing aint bad though) and the knobs on the amps ( or whatever the proper name for them is) feel cheap...im no expert though ive had it like 2 weeks, but it sounds good to me so far...almost every bad review I read online could be chalked up to a bad unit, expecting too much out of stock electrical, or a bad install...

My complaint on them isn't the power it is the fact they don't come with a bass knob. They do rated power and then some. Many have had a ton of luck with them even the 15K versions for a long time.

Good power, good efficiency, good price. Crappy Xovers, cheap controls, no bass knob, and the build quality isn’t what I’m normally use to which goes for most amps on the market today 😂.

Good power, good efficiency, good price. Crappy Xovers, cheap controls, no bass knob, and the build quality isn’t what I’m normally use to which goes for most amps on the market today 😂.
468ea477-78f5-4103-bad5-7dcbacee9a2c_1.9a137de08e80dea9c2fe67bfeda5065c.jpeg

Not everything can be the dream though 🤣

Yeah sub level is maxed when I set the gain (its one of the things that stuck from hanging out at the shop as dumb kid 😂)...I've always done that though since the my first deck with sub controls though...I back it down to what sounds best afterwards...

I got no complaints with smart 3 except no bass knob (but the indicator light thing aint bad though) and the knobs on the amps ( or whatever the proper name for them is) feel cheap...im no expert though ive had it like 2 weeks, but it sounds good to me so far...almost every bad review I read online could be chalked up to a bad unit, expecting too much out of stock electrical, or a bad install...

You need to set the gain with your sub-level at zero. Disable all EQ, bass boost, etc on your headunit. Very few headunits can provide a clean signal at their max sub level, and amplifying a clipped or distorted signal is a quick way to smoke your subs.

Matt

You need to set the gain with your sub-level at zero. Disable all EQ, bass boost, etc on your headunit. Very few headunits can provide a clean signal at their max sub level, and amplifying a clipped or distorted signal is a quick way to smoke your subs.

Matt

Wrong. You can run with it though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...