cost of gas

I know why the current prices are for that reason. Many are in turn around mode right now and replacing/upgrading equipment. Got family still working in refineries along with a cousin who owns oil pumps. Dad worked and retired from the last one ever built after 25+ years. Lived through that hell of turn arounds twice a year and the crabbiness it put into him for 2 weeks daily as they worked 7 days as week 12 hour days and there was no getting out of it for anyone.

The 50 million barrels we just used from emergency supply is only 3 days worth of gas for America. Not sure why anyone thinks it will bring down prices. The math just doesn't work on that to bring prices down more than a few pennies

The Keystone pipeline was only 12% completed. Gas prices are all supply/demand, refineries that shut down because of the Arctic chill, and OPEC cutting production. Anybody who thinks different is just blind to real life circumstances.

Refineries are in turn around mode right now. That happens from Sept till early Dec every year. Keystone was leaking from day one many years ago. It did nothing for this country period and would do nothing for this country when it was completed. At most it was going to only produce 30-50 jobs from border to border once it was completed. I know people that were on that pipeline every single one of them was glad to be gone from that disaster of a pipeline.

The Keystone pipeline was only 12% completed. Gas prices are all supply/demand, refineries that shut down because of the Arctic chill, and OPEC cutting production. Anybody who thinks different is just blind to real life circumstances.
What’s your point? I didn’t argue against any of that. I simply stated that 50 million barrels is only 3 days worth of petroleum, and that isn’t enough to bring down prices. Stop acting like you know how it works just so you can argue. At least argue against the point I actually made. If gas prices weren’t able to be affected by anything other than just simple supply and demand, the president wouldn’t bother trying to solve the problem. Our government absolutely can affect the SUPPLY of gas, which affects prices. Thinking anything different is just blind to real world circumstances. Of course the government doesn’t just set the price, but they can affect the supply of gas in numerous different ways, which affects the price. Your arguments are juvenile and uninformed. I’m sure you will fall out of your chair thinking I’m bashing on Biden for this, which will cause you make other uninformed statements to defend your guy, but I’m not talking about a specific president. Every president has a bit of control over the supply. Why do you think we have a petroleum reserve in the first place? Could it be so they can add gas to the supply to help prices? Didn’t Biden release 50 million barrels of petroleum to help with prices? He said that himself. Why don’t you explain to us why Biden lied about why he released the 50 million barrels, even though it won’t help?

Last edited:
Refineries are in turn around mode right now. That happens from Sept till early Dec every year. Keystone was leaking from day one many years ago. It did nothing for this country period and would do nothing for this country when it was completed. At most it was going to only produce 30-50 jobs from border to border once it was completed. I know people that were on that pipeline every single one of them was glad to be gone from that disaster of a pipeline.
Is it only the keystone pipeline that pumps that bad crude? Is all the oil coming out of Canada bad quality, or is it a refinement step that’s getting skipped before sending it down? The oil is still being pumped from the ground even if it isn’t sent down the pipe to Texas. Let Russia have it if it’s a crap product. If it’s as bad as you say I’m surprised Democrats didn’t use these facts to shut it down a long time ago. Most Americans would understand that and support shutting it down if it had been explained how you explained it. I have to come on a car audio site and hear it from you, when I should be hearing this stuff from our politicians and news media.

Last edited:
That pipeline was being built just for that quality of crude. It is very nasty very corrosive and just destroys anything it touches including pipes. There is one refinery in the US built to process it but they want nothing to do with it. Basically it was going to go from Canada to the southern shores then loaded onto tankers to be sent to China as they have a few refineries that can process it and they could care less about the impact it has.

The majority of the crude oil coming from Canada is not like that at all. As I said the pipeline was being built just to transport that garbage. Since they started to build it, it has had leaks in Canada several times and a couple leaks here in the states as well. Dad saw what that stuff will do when he visited that refinery in Texas that can refine it, they finally had enough of it years ago and said no more the cost isn't worth it.

Tbh most people are not aware of what really happens in the oil industry. They just assume or think oh the its the presidents fault or its OPEC's fault or some other reason. Facts are we have oil tankers sitting sometimes around 3-4 months before being off-loaded in this country at several ports around the country.

Kinda the same thing when people ask why there hasn't been a new refinery since 1976 with the Mobil Oil refinery in Elwood, IL. It isn't the EPA like so many want to blame. It is the oil companies because that means more output and lower prices. Refineries can operate at a 90-92% capacity very safely. Most are running around 50-60% capacity because that means lower output which means higher gas prices.

Last edited:
Also slug the average person in this country doesn't know how the oil industry actually works. They just listen to the news or what some political party says. If you saw the true numbers of what say Mobil Oil makes in a year in profits vs what they report to the public it would blow your mind. Dad still gets the yearly reports as a retiree of Mobil Oil. The Elwood refinery was the 1st refinery to ever get a "star" rating. That was quickly removed once Exxon took over. Mobil Oil believed in preventative maintenance where Exxon believes in running everything till it breaks or does damage then they replace the parts. One reason why they have such high profit margins. Mobil Oil also believed in taking care of their workers big time. Give you an example when dad would take a day off for if he was sick or if say I had to have surgery one day equaled 3 days off but only counts as one day of sick or personal time. He had 10 personal days a year and as many sick days as he needed for surgeries and stuff like that. Along with 6 weeks of vacation time after a few years not 15-20 like many companies do.

He retired early because he knew if he didn't get out of there he would have died there with Exxon in control they really are a shitty company to work for. Yeah they pay really well but it was so much better when Mobil Oil wasn't owned by Exxon.

Also slug the average person in this country doesn't know how the oil industry actually works. They just listen to the news or what some political party says. If you saw the true numbers of what say Mobil Oil makes in a year in profits vs what they report to the public it would blow your mind. Dad still gets the yearly reports as a retiree of Mobil Oil. The Elwood refinery was the 1st refinery to ever get a "star" rating. That was quickly removed once Exxon took over. Mobil Oil believed in preventative maintenance where Exxon believes in running everything till it breaks or does damage then they replace the parts. One reason why they have such high profit margins. Mobil Oil also believed in taking care of their workers big time. Give you an example when dad would take a day off for if he was sick or if say I had to have surgery one day equaled 3 days off but only counts as one day of sick or personal time. He had 10 personal days a year and as many sick days as he needed for surgeries and stuff like that. Along with 6 weeks of vacation time after a few years not 15-20 like many companies do.

He retired early because he knew if he didn't get out of there he would have died there with Exxon in control they really are a shitty company to work for. Yeah they pay really well but it was so much better when Mobil Oil wasn't owned by Exxon.
My cousins husband worked for Exxon. I never really liked him so I never talked to him about his industry. I heard them complain about having to live in Houston for his job mostly. They hated it there. He has a lot of money for retirement though, so I’m sure they compensate management level employees decent. These oil companies have gotten special treatment for years and have profited billions.

What’s your point? I didn’t argue against any of that. I simply stated that 50 million barrels is only 3 days worth of petroleum, and that isn’t enough to bring down prices. Stop acting like you know how it works just so you can argue. At least argue against the point I actually made. If gas prices weren’t able to be affected by anything other than just simple supply and demand, the president wouldn’t bother trying to solve the problem. Our government absolutely can affect the SUPPLY of gas, which affects prices. Thinking anything different is just blind to real world circumstances. Of course the government doesn’t just set the price, but they can affect the supply of gas in numerous different ways, which affects the price. Your arguments are juvenile and uninformed. I’m sure you will fall out of your chair thinking I’m bashing on Biden for this, which will cause you make other uninformed statements to defend your guy, but I’m not talking about a specific president. Every president has a bit of control over the supply. Why do you think we have a petroleum reserve in the first place? Could it be so they can add gas to the supply to help prices? Didn’t Biden release 50 million barrels of petroleum to help with prices? He said that himself. Why don’t you explain to us why Biden lied about why he released the 50 million barrels, even though it won’t help?

Releasing 50 million barrels isn't going to do anything when we don't have the trucks to transport it. He probably just did it to make it look like he was trying to do something. Gas prices are cyclical.

So how much does the United States pay other countries for 50 million barrels?

Since we already had that 50 million barrels here, that's however much money we didn't pay for oil from other countries.

Where is that money now going to be spent?

Is anyone going to ask Biden where that money will be moved to?

Let the money game continue.

So how much does the United States pay other countries for 50 million barrels?

Since we already had that 50 million barrels here, that's however much money we didn't pay for oil from other countries.

Where is that money now going to be spent?

Is anyone going to ask Biden where that money will be moved to?

Let the money game continue.

I'm guessing that we still bought the same amount of oil from the other Countries. I don't think that Biden or whoever canceled an order to buy 50 million barrels from another Country. Adding to the oil supply should "in theory" help to lower prices.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...