Confused about wiring a us acoustics Barbara Ann after reading a review

Participant count
  • Participants list

jeeper2269
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Here is a quote that confused me.

“When I first received the amplifier I swapped it out for my current long running Alpine MRP f300 which has been extremely faithful for the last 8 years I have owned it. However had some noticable line noise on the horns, upon switching them out without changing anything the high pitched squeal went away regardless of the gain position on the Barbara Ann. Not noticing that you are unable to run all 4 channels full I ran into some issues, which were at fault to myself and partially the manufacturer. In a normal install for an average user you wouldn't notice, but since I am running full 2 way active setup I was accustomed to my Alpine being able to run all 4 channels full, however on the Barbara Ann you have to run the tweeters on channels 1 & 2 and the mid basses on channels 3 & 4. Both my roommate and I were scratching our heads until we finally figured it out. It seems that the crossover network for the price ($300 USD) is a bit lacking when compared to other amplifiers within its price range, although for non enthusiasts the crossovers would be more than enough.
The power output of the Barbara Ann is excellent, running two way active on a pair of Eric Stevens Full bodied horns and two Silver Flute 6.5. Both the mid-basses and the horns are running at 4 ohms, which for the first time in my car audio hobby has been too much and I ended up turning them down with the seemingly unlimited power from the Barbara Ann”

I would simply like to run two sets of Polk db652s. Can I run each speaker to each of the channels at 4 ohms and get the 100 watts I’m looking for? Or will I need to wire it different?

WTF. I have never noticed that before.

This picture is from their website and shows full range for all 4 channels.
BA.jpg

@ThxOne You run one right?

WTF. I have never noticed that before.

This picture is from their website and shows full range for all 4 channels.View attachment 25273

@ThxOne You run one right?
I do however they seem to have upgraded/updated Barbara. I don't have Tiffany style RCA's. I run into mine via a DSP though. I have all four channels set to high pass with the crossovers as low as they will go.

Attachments

• Barbara Ann.jpg
    Barbara Ann.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 190
Here is a quote that confused me.

“When I first received the amplifier I swapped it out for my current long running Alpine MRP f300 which has been extremely faithful for the last 8 years I have owned it. However had some noticable line noise on the horns, upon switching them out without changing anything the high pitched squeal went away regardless of the gain position on the Barbara Ann. Not noticing that you are unable to run all 4 channels full I ran into some issues, which were at fault to myself and partially the manufacturer. In a normal install for an average user you wouldn't notice, but since I am running full 2 way active setup I was accustomed to my Alpine being able to run all 4 channels full, however on the Barbara Ann you have to run the tweeters on channels 1 & 2 and the mid basses on channels 3 & 4. Both my roommate and I were scratching our heads until we finally figured it out. It seems that the crossover network for the price ($300 USD) is a bit lacking when compared to other amplifiers within its price range, although for non enthusiasts the crossovers would be more than enough.
The power output of the Barbara Ann is excellent, running two way active on a pair of Eric Stevens Full bodied horns and two Silver Flute 6.5. Both the mid-basses and the horns are running at 4 ohms, which for the first time in my car audio hobby has been too much and I ended up turning them down with the seemingly unlimited power from the Barbara Ann”

I would simply like to run two sets of Polk db652s. Can I run each speaker to each of the channels at 4 ohms and get the 100 watts I’m looking for? Or will I need to wire it different?
My MB Qaurt Q 150.4 had a x-over just like that tweets on ch 1&2 and Midbass on Ch 3&4

The lackluster filters are what prevented me from buying one but since they have updated the amp, I’ll have to take another look. Although I’ll likely just use a DSP anyways. Thanks for posting.

She arrived today. I have to wait for a full day off to get everything installed. I plan on running the wires and pulling the parts of the dash off during breaks at work the next couple of weeks or so.

Attachments

• 83319074-F325-43C9-A018-8C1E911771C0.jpeg
    83319074-F325-43C9-A018-8C1E911771C0.jpeg
    960.3 KB · Views: 125
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.