Component Speakers

Participant count
  • Participants list
That is what I have been thinking. At this point I know the subwoofer box and the new American Bass TNT-1044s are going to do the job. Tuned at 37hz which is what I wanted for the music I listen to.

At least the Silver Flutes are always in stock and those Alpines are legit, DIYMA guys have been all over them as well. Thanks again Jeff. I appreciate it!

Yep heck with it just bought the Alpines now. Same link is still going Jeff

Also another ? for ya. I think I can get the 8" version of the Silverflutes to fit should I just go with those instead of the 6.5s? Either one it doesn't make a difference to me.

Last edited:
Yep heck with it just bought the Alpines now. Same link is still going Jeff

Also another ? for ya. I think I can get the 8" version of the Silverflutes to fit should I just go with those instead of the 6.5s? Either one it doesn't make a difference to me.
If you can fit the 8s, do it lol. but make sure the dimensions and depth works with your vehicle.

Any other suggestions for around that 100-150?
I'm running these in my F250
Low extension is a bit anemic if you have a lot of power on tap you'll need to cross them kind of high but they sound about as good as you'd expect for their price point and the tweeter mounting options are quite good.

IF you can spare a bit more money the JBL Stadium series 6x8 components are fantastic, we did those in my brother's old F250 and I was really impressed with build quality and performance. IF I start driving my pickup more I'll probably have to find the money to upgrade into those myself.

There is no way I can afford those,lol. I have these now in all 4 doors and they sound pretty decent but I think there is just a bit more out there. Maybe all it is missing is an extra set of tweeters like the Alpines in the front. Maybe it is just a power issue and I can try bridging the fronts. I know the MTX 704X will run at 2 ohms no problem. I am also going to try a few settings as well for the fronts and see what happens.

So been thinking on this the past hour or so. I have a couple options I am thinking about....Been thinking maybe it isn't enough power also just something I have been dwelling.

1. Install Alpine Tweeters, keep front RF P1683, of course go active and use channels 1&2 for tweeters 3&4 for the Front RF P1683s and use HU for the rear RF P 1683s while still using MTX 704X which is 70x4 RMS.

2.Same as above but switch out MTX 704X for a bigger 4 channel amplifier, either the Pioneer that is highly thought of or use a 400x4 from Taramps or something else that is 100x4 RMS.

3. Go the Silverflute route either the 8" or 6.5" once I measure depth, Alpine tweeters and of course active with channels 1&2 for the tweeters, 3&4 for the Silverflutes and HU for the rear RF P1683s.

4. Same as above but a 4 channel amplifier with more power like I said in option #2.

Also if I do #1 what should I be setting the crossovers at in the 80-PRS?

I run the Silverflutes 6.5" in my G6 GT Coupe... big speaker, magnet is kinda deep but not bad, it is however big in diameter. I listen to metal (Slayer, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Death, King Diamond and so on) and I also listen to BASS, Jazz, Rock, and so on. No complaints from me or the speakers, ever. Watch out for those "cheap Alpine tweeters" on eBay... I think they are fake. I have purchased 2 sets, they did not last. I could be wrong.

Edit: Listen to these guys about setting the gains for the tweeters... I didn't a few times (ego) and tweeters don't last. I'd adjust the gain for the tweeters last and bring them up to match/blend with the other speakers with music. A tweeter may say 100w or 50w... ummm, no way. 30w is more realistic.

So far the guys at DIYMA have done a lot of testing on them and they all come out as they should. Idk maybe a bad set/s or maybe they are fake. Either way for the price I'll try them plus I bought the warranty through square trade for 2.50 for 3 years if they dump then they can deal with it,lol.

So far the guys at DIYMA have done a lot of testing on them and they all come out as they should. Idk maybe a bad set/s or maybe they are fake. Either way for the price I'll try them plus I bought the warranty through square trade for 2.50 for 3 years if they dump then they can deal with it,lol.
I remember they sounded better pointed at me and they sounded good. I had NO protection on them and was full active. It may have been my fault. I still have a pair here in pods I made.

Here is the magnet of the silverflutes and both positions I had the Alpines.

20191018-162807-HDR2.jpg

20191129-164221-HDR11.jpg

@Jeffdachef

Take a look at the options I posted today. Maybe I am just don't have enough power as the RF are 90db which is better then I thought they were. Maybe my crossover settings are wrong right now as well. Curious as to what you think I should be crossing this over at right now for the heck of it and see if I can get any of a difference out of it. Either way the Alpine tweeters are going into the door or the panel like in the above in my XLT. I will just run the tweeters off channel 1&2 and the front RFs off of channels 3&4 and the rears off the HU like we talked about.

@Jeffdachef

Take a look at the options I posted today. Maybe I am just don't have enough power as the RF are 90db which is better then I thought they were. Maybe my crossover settings are wrong right now as well. Curious as to what you think I should be crossing this over at right now for the heck of it and see if I can get any of a difference out of it. Either way the Alpine tweeters are going into the door or the panel like in the above in my XLT. I will just run the tweeters off channel 1&2 and the front RFs off of channels 3&4 and the rears off the HU like we talked about.
the RF tweeter in the coaxial is 90db, the midrange is less more like mid 85s. The speakers always use the tweeter as the sensitivity measurement which is the highest of the two. Still though i'd actually do option 1 because it costs the least. Then transition to option 3 then add power as needed. Actually you can add power before the switch up, thats fine too but i know the RF reaches its limit at 100 watts before it starts stinking those dont really get too loud tbh.

You'll be doing everything at the head unit. Other than having a high pass filter as a 2ndary buffer for the tweeters left on at the amp around 800hz -1000hz (for added protection) or so, the actual crossover points will be done on the head unit which you will need to switch to network mode.

Okay sounds good! I think I am still going to add power down the line and do one of the Silverflute options in the spring then. As that way I can get away with it till then since winter is coming here in Northeast Wisconsin and looking like a record year for snowfall :D :D :D. Which makes me happy but means less driving which tbh doesn't bother me as I don't do surgeries or doc appts during that time unless I absolutely have to. Thanks again everyone!

they sound pretty decent but I think there is just a bit more out there.

I really don't think you're going to get an upgrade in the 100-150$ price range, at least not in a 6x8 where there's just so few choices. I'd guess all of the ones from the common brands in that price range are about the same, probably built in the same Chinese factory, and may well be the same exact thing with different brand names printed on them.

I find that within the good brands they're all pretty comparable between price tiers. For example, the Alpine 99$ ones will be about the same as JBL, Kicker, etc. 99$ ones and the 300$ ones across all those brands will be about comparable to each other in that tier. When you're in the entry level option you have to have very reasonable expectations.

IF you care to try to mod your factory holes to fit a 6x9 or 6.5" round you can probably find something on closeout or new old stock of a higher tier in your price range, but again, 6x8 just doesn't have a big selection for plug and play options

I am going to go the 1st route for now then go route number 4 in the spring. Either 8" Silverflutes or the 6.5s depending on depth which I will measure when I do the tweeters, but coming from China those may not come in till Mid October. Might just enough time to get them in before it gets really cold here, heck we've had below zero temps already and freeze/frost warnings here once and usually every night just north of us.

I love that MTX 704X it has served me well for well close to 13 years since I got it NIB from Circuit City when the Pioneer I bought there blew up after 4 months and they gave me the option to get that since they did the install. Needless to say I found a bad ground that caused it along with the fact they put a screwdriver in my front speaker which I found while changing out the window motor so in order to save face they pretty much let me upgrade the amplifier and the speaker set without saying a word because they knew they had been caught doing shitty work. (FYI I was recovering from major surgery at that point and couldn't do the install plus it was winter, just wanted it done...should have known better).

Anyways I think the Pioneer that a lot of people use or the ugh Taramps which is nice strictly because of the small footprint will happen to give the Silverflutes the power they need when I do it.

Once again thanks everyone and my apologies for bringing up a year old thread. Just been on my mind now that other things have settled down and I can start to plan that out like I wanted to last year.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.