Component Speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

Firewalker

CarAudio.com VIP
nowhere
So after doing some searching I decided to just replace the blown front 6x8 Rockford Fosgate P1683's with a component set and leaving the RF P1683's in the rear doors. Will be ordering a Pioneer DEH-80PRS here later this week and then one of these components for the front middle of next month. So far I have found a set of Hertz, Focal's, DS 18's and Image Dynamics. They will be running off a MTX 704X for the next few months. This is in a 2003 Ford Explorer

Hertz DSK 165.3's

Focal RSE-165's

DS18 EXL-SQ6.5c's

Image Dynamic ID65CS

They all fall in the price range of 75-150 dollars which is my budget to replace that front set. For the music I listen which as you know is classic rock, metal and rarely some rap. I have since upgraded the subwoofer to a SD-3 10" Dual 2 ohm thanks to your guys suggestions and that made a massive improvement in the box I have to deal with due to needing the room.

What are some of your guy's opinions on those 4 models? I know they are not the "best" that I could buy but they seem like a decent option considering what I have to work with.

why are you getting an 80 prs when you are just going to use passive components? literally taping into 10% of the head unit's capabilities by doing this.   You only want the 80 prs to go active networks. which is high mid and low... no front or rear.

Sigh yeah I know but I need an upgrade from my old kenwood kdc-x998 so that was the next best option. Fith suggested dayton audio and separates tweeters but wanted to look elsewhere so I started looking at those component sets. I have heard the focals in a friends explorer and they sounded decent.

I'm open to anything really on the speakers as I have to do something and keep it within my budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about this? Comes with the tweeter as well and doesn't have the crossovers with it allowing the 80PRS to do it's job

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PRO-X6-4BM-6-5-Midrange-Speakers-2-Pro-TW120B-1-Super-Bullet-Tweeters-Bundle/183658901819?hash=item2ac2ec713b:g:fyYAAOSwl1RcT2yh

edit: unfortunately the kenwood is having some issues lately with it. Sometimes it works great the next day it doesn't want to work. Checked all the connections and it has been in 3 different vehicles at this point so hence why I was looking at the Pioneer.

or this and I will buy a separate set of tweeters for it. Also how does your PRV's sound? Saw a few of those as well in the 6.5 range for decent prices on a few sites.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CL-6E-CDT-AUDIO-CLASSIC-6-5-MID-BASS-4-OHM-LOUD-MIDRANGE-SPEAKERS-NEW-PAIR/121055925171?hash=item1c2f7ed3b3:g:ML0AAMXQ0pNQ~g3a:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!54112!US!-1

Last edited by a moderator:
What about this? Comes with the tweeter as well and doesn't have the crossovers with it allowing the 80PRS to do it's job

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PRO-X6-4BM-6-5-Midrange-Speakers-2-Pro-TW120B-1-Super-Bullet-Tweeters-Bundle/183658901819?hash=item2ac2ec713b:g:fyYAAOSwl1RcT2yh

edit: unfortunately the kenwood is having some issues lately with it. Sometimes it works great the next day it doesn't want to work. Checked all the connections and it has been in 3 different vehicles at this point so hence why I was looking at the Pioneer.
Gag, DS-18 is **** Korean/Chinese junk. Stay away from 'super tweeters'. If youre running off head unit power, Kicker CS Components would prob be good, KS if a small amp is behind them. Otherwise, what is your criteria for speakers?

God no, I would never run off of head unit power. 1st post has what I am running for an amp and what I have to work with for money. Not a fan of Kicker speakers anymore 20 years ago yeah no problem but now no way, just personal opinion is all.

God no, I would never run off of head unit power. 1st post has what I am running for an amp and what I have to work with for money. Not a fan of Kicker speakers anymore 20 years ago yeah no problem but now no way, just personal opinion is all.
Oh ok, the 80PRS part confused me a bit then lol. Ive got some R6 mids id cut you a deal on to get them gone, then you just need tweets. Theres a guy i trust on eBay with some R22's for $75.

or this and I will buy a separate set of tweeters for it. Also how does your PRV's sound? Saw a few of those as well in the 6.5 range for decent prices on a few sites.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CL-6E-CDT-AUDIO-CLASSIC-6-5-MID-BASS-4-OHM-LOUD-MIDRANGE-SPEAKERS-NEW-PAIR/121055925171?hash=item1c2f7ed3b3:g:ML0AAMXQ0pNQ~g3a:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!54112!US!-1

as a fellow metal listener i'd stay away from PA drivers and get something smoother in the frequency response with warmer mids. take a look at silverflutes https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/silver-flute-woofers-6-7/silver-flute-w17rc38-04-ohm-6-1/2-wool-cone/

and these type X tweeters very high resolution, detailed smooth and airy, brings out details in cymbals and snares without rubbing sand paper on your ears.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/pair-alpine-HIEND-28MM-dome-car-tweeter-4ohm-50W-vifa-XT25-PK-scanspeak-seas-/222186264721

Run them active and leave the rear doors on the 80 prs head unit power, the 80 prs internal amp is pretty decent to drive the rears just fine, focus all power to the front mids and tweeters.

about your first few models, I have never been impressed by the low tier offerings from hertz focal or audison, the sound is half @ssed most of the times and is low detail/resolution. Only get mid tier of those brands and up, never the bottom of the food chain stuff.

I have 2 sets of Polk Audio MM6501. They have 94 db for sensitivity and will take 125rms at 2.7 ohms. They can get fairly loud and once tuned properly sound pretty good.

Also have the 80prs

038.jpg

Coolhand20th said:
So after doing some searching I decided to just replace the blown front 6x8 Rockford Fosgate P1683's with a component set and leaving the RF P1683's in the rear doors.
I'm seeing a number of concerns.

1) Your "good" sound is now only coming from the rear speakers and the sub. That's got to be frustrating.

2) Other than blown front speakers it seems you could leave the system as it is. Why not move the rear speakers up front and not spend any more money?

3) Ready-made component speakers vs build your own? Do you actually want to keep using both front and rear speakers?

So I HATE bringing up a old thread especially one I did...but I am back to finally getting around to upgrading the front speakers. I found out that the front RF 6x8s were not blown but the stupid window had broken the wires connecting them on the passenger side and was shorting out. Found that out last year right after I posted my last message in this thread.

Now I going to upgrade the fronts here in 2-3 weeks. I am looking at these 3

JBL GTO609Cs
Hertz K165 and the
Polk Audio DB6501s

All 3 are around 100 dollars and seem to fit what I am looking for.

Any other suggestions for around that 100-150?

Not looking to get loud or mid-bass with them since I will have the subwoofer box done finally later this week now that it has stopped raining around here. I just want more clarity then what I get with these RF 6x8s.

Or should I just go do the Silver Flutes and the Alpine go active and be done with it. Either option is ok with me at this point. Both will cost the same in the long run except I will have to run wires to the doors for the Tweeters which shouldn't be a big deal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.