Component or coaxial speakers to the back

wmbt02

CarAudio.com Newbie
Sep 18, 2022
I still need to upgrade my rear speakers, should I also install component speakers to the back or go coaxial?

spokey9

5 time International Booty Bandit Gold Meldalist
Apr 10, 2022
I personally don't like tweeters behind me so I'd suggest fullrange drivers in the rear

JRsmoothee

Think For Yourself, Question Authority - MJK
10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
Do you go to live concerts and stand with your back to the stage? rear fill is a waste of money IMO

thescottishbear

Jul 24, 2013
Rear fill done right is magic. It can add depth and a spaciousness to the cabin but 9 times out of 10... ehhh. I would go with a simple coaxial and keep it under 3000hz if you have dsp capabilities. They do help with added midbass if you are lacking there which 70% of all the cars I have heard have. If you just want them for extra volume run them full range.

metalheadjoe

Unapologetic prick
10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
Do you go to live concerts and stand with your back to the stage? rear fill is a waste of money IMO
Do recorded songs sound cleaner and better than live concerts?

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jun 28, 2011
I wouldnt spend a whole lot. Rear speakers work great if you dont have a sub.. or add some tunes for passengers, and a little bit of fill of a void usually. Doesnt take much, a cheap Coax or a mid will work just fine

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
5,000+ posts
Aug 28, 2018
I wouldnt spend a whole lot. Rear speakers work great if you dont have a sub.. or add some tunes for passengers, and a little bit of fill of a void usually. Doesnt take much, a cheap Coax or a mid will work just fine
Quick question. Would you even need tweeters if you ran these in the front and back doors? Look at the frequency response. $100/pair.

Screenshot_20220924-010617_Chrome.jpg

winkychevelle

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Jun 21, 2009
Quick question. Would you even need tweeters if you ran these in the front and back doors? Look at the frequency response. $100/pair.

View attachment 42972
If that thing can play 50hz for real its gonna sound like garbage above 3500hz.

Pro audio mids are usually a 125hz-8000hz range and that's stretching the upper end way past what I'm comfortable with. I'd hate to see the response graph.

You don't want drivers to play to much as they get I mushy sounding. I'm trying to let my silverflutes play 30-3500hz right now because of blow tweeters and it's just bad. Put hpf to 100hz it's still bad. That speaker is a 50-2600hz driver in my install. Outside of that range it struggles.

Reactions: spokey9

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
5,000+ posts
Aug 28, 2018
If that thing can play 50hz for real its gonna sound like garbage above 3500hz.

Pro audio mids are usually a 125hz-8000hz range and that's stretching the upper end way past what I'm comfortable with. I'd hate to see the response graph.

You don't want drivers to play to much as they get I mushy sounding. I'm trying to let my silverflutes play 30-3500hz right now because of blow tweeters and it's just bad. Put hpf to 100hz it's still bad. That speaker is a 50-2600hz driver in my install. Outside of that range it struggles.
Silver flutes can hit 30 hz.? Any videos? Turn the sub stage off. I need to hear some 30 hz. mids.

winkychevelle

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Jun 21, 2009
Silver flutes can hit 30 hz.? Any videos? Turn the sub stage off. I need to hear some 30 hz. mids.
I'll have to see if I can get some vids. They are no subs but they get comparable to like a factory systems low end. I don't usually cross them that low but they handle it well

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
Rear speakers are best with DSP capability. Personally I don't run rear speakers anymore and I won't go back to rear speakers again. If you are dead-set on running rear speakers, I would suggest a midbass that you let roll off naturally. Something that will play down to 100hz or so. Extra volume in the 100hz-300hz range is always a good thing(in my experience) and most 6.5" drivers will start to roll off around 2.5k naturally.

Matt

Reactions: spokey9

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
5,000+ posts
Aug 28, 2018
Here you go Bobby.

I don't really think the Pioneer is a true midbass speaker. I consider this AB a true midbass speaker. This video is only mids/midbass/highs. The sub stage was turned off. I had the Pioneer Pro 6-¾" as rear fill. A four way setup.

winkychevelle

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Jun 21, 2009

Sorry for the bad video quality. The pixel 6pro is a garbage phone.

Short of pulling the door panels idk how to really show the low frequency extension. But the low notes in that recording is 28hz. No hpf at all on 80w per mid.

No subs in the truck right now just the 2 silverflute 6.5s and 1 Memphis viv tweeter that's on its way out. Idk what happened to these tweeters I though I smoked the first one by my mistake but this one has loose leads. Im wondering if the solder joint at the tinsel leads broke due to the rough ass ride of this dually

Create an account or login to post

You must be a member in order to post a message

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.