Cobalt SS and Ion redline build.

AStovall
10+ year member

Florida
I been out of the hobby for about 6 years. Cars , audio and fabrication were hobbies of mine since high school, until i became an installer at circuit city and that kinda ****** the fun out of the audio part,that and debt,and spending years paying off said debt.

This build was birthed after sitting in my wife car one day and noticing just how lack luster the factory system was. And remembering the promise made to here years ago when we were dating that i would build a set-up for her.

I start cleaning out her trunk to find two boxes of subs ...red and black with DAT plastered all over them. i open the box to find lighting audio 10" p3's... apparently someone gave them to her years ago. i figure its a start.

i molded the subs in winisd and came up with a 3^ft tuned to 35 ,i decide to just build two of them since our trunks are the same dimensions.

I had home depot do the cuts since i don't have a table saw as of yet. (yes they fucked up all of them)

20120218_150041.jpg

The wifes

20120218_190621-1.jpg

Mine ,i decided to make mine a bit smaller due to my smaller trunk opening and shorter trunk.

2^ft tuned to 35Hz funny thing is due to the larger port i only saved 3" in depth on the outer dimensions

20120219_193626-1.jpg

My patent pending custom hole jig for my router.

20120218_202529-1.jpg

p3 in my wife enclosure,they sound pretty **** good ,very surprised.

20120218_203217.jpg

MTX 10" 4500 (t4510-04) i went with thees because i had one sitting around that i bought with my circuit city discount ,but i never got around to using it. so i picked up another one on ebay...not to happy with them, very peaky and now low end. but they do get pretty loud.

20120225_154408.jpg

Build plan for my wife car 04 ion relined.

HU: Pioneer DEH-p7700mp

Front stage : Memphis 6.5 (cant remember the model, poly cones ,swivle tweets ,passive corssover bocks) Plan to move them to the rear and find some components.

Front stage amp: MB onx4.60 (current powring subs ,6.5s powerd off deck) she seems to be happy with it.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Subs: currently two lighting audio p3.10.4 (looking for single 12 or 2 10s for sql.

Sub amp: undecided.

cobaltion3-1.jpg

Build my car 06 cobalt SS

HU: stock( no idea who makes a decent HU anymore, i do have a old DEH-p6600 i just repaired)

Front stage:stock (looking at pioneer d series components)

Front stage amp:stock(pretty substantial for now.)

subs:2 MTX 10" 4500(looking for single 12 for SQL

sub amp: MB quart refrance ref1.800(may give this amp to my wife. and but a onx1.1500 )

cobaltion-1-1.jpg

Doin a build in my cobalt 4 dr. Hate the dmall trunk opening. Somehow Imma have to fit a box for 2 hdc3 12s in there

I know its a pain but having seen the cobalt turnk openings you might be better off removing the back seats if they allow you to get a bigger box in there. But like already said Mtx need a cubic **** ton of air for them to get low and sound good

Yeah i'm not willing to give up any more space than I currently have. 2 to 2.5^ft. With the back seats removed you can fit a pretty large enclosure in the trunk. Im leaning towrads a single 12 in 2 to 2.5 cubes

Why do you and your girl have such slow cars that are portrayed to be quick?

Good work on the box man. When i first started i used to have them do cuts for me too. I still do every now and then so its easier to handle.

Lol,I assume you're trolling but if not.They are factory supercharged and share the same drive-train/platform 205hp-200tq stock, I'm closer to 275 whp.(300 crank) the cobalt dose 13.7-13.9 @ 105(no traction) the redline is stock but manages high to mid 14s @ mid 90s. I plan to do the same mods to her car that's done to mine.Not blazing fast cars but competitive in their segment.

IMGP1546.jpg

Thanks, I use to just have them cut it down so i could fit it in my car, but then so much mdf gets wasted. the kid that did the cuts rushed , i gave him plans with the cuts laid out on the board with a cut list, he tried to do to much from memory. he cut one panel a full half inch short, some were there was as much as a 1/4 inch difference in some cuts. I just re trimmed with my curricular and filled any gaps with wood glue and saw dust(diy wood putty)

I drive a Redline and even stock, they will put you into the seat a little when you get on the gas. Only thing that I hate is that they give you this giant trunk with a tiny opening -_-

I'll be going with a pair of Skar VVX 10s in mine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

AStovall

10+ year member
AStovall
Florida
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from