cd player skips/ too much vibes

Participant count
  • Participant list

CherokeeSounds
10+ year member

home
I have a grand cherokee that is below its known performance.

Four 10" Credence subs w/ dual 4 ohm voice coils all run in parallel. Each in it's own 1.5 cuft ported enclosure, yet built all in one tapazoid box. A 2x100watt Kenwood amp @ 4ohm (mind you these are in stereo/parallel = approx. 1.0 ohm).

Four flush mounted Focal 1" titanium tweeters (two in front, two roof mounted in rear on a 4x25 Hafler amp.

Kicker 6 1/2" mid/bass drivers in the front doors. 6 1/2" Alpine co-ax speakers in the rear doors all run on a Kenwood 4x50 watt amp.

A Kicker Impusle 3-way crossover delivers the signals.

My only problem is that my CD player skips before I am even beginning to realy get my subs to perform. I have heard what they can do on the radio because it won't skip so I can turn it up loud. There is no room to pad the cd palyer because of the fit, so my only idea that I havn't tried is to use this .05" dampening material all over the Jeep, roof, doors, rear hatch, etc.

DOES ANYONE THINK THIS WILL FIX MY PROBLEM??

It is an inexpensive Kenwood cd player. You are not the first person to tell me to get a more expensive cd player to solve the skip problem. I may try that.

What cd player do you know of that resists the most vibrations. I may still want to use the dampening sheets for other sound improving purposes. Let me know of any ideas you have.

Hey Cherokee, Have you considered that your system is pulling too much power? Maybe a CAP would be usefull to store some power and not drain your battery before you get your subs moving. I had the same power a little while ago and a 1 farad cap helped a lot. Just wanted to help..

I am assuming that want to use sound dampening mats because you think the bass vibrations are causing your CD player to skip. Does the CD player only skip when there is a ot of bass? Try turning the bass amp off and see if the CD player skips. If this does not stop the skipping then vibrations are not the prob. Does the CD player skip while driving, or all the time? Possible causes for the CD player to skip are 1-improper/loose mounting (if it skips while driving and with the bass off). 2-CD player needs to be cleaned. 3-The laser lens in the CD player is bad or other internal problem. I would Make sure the mounting brackets and bolts are tight. I would then clean the CD player. If that does not work you may need a new HU.

Thanks for the replies. I have considered using a 1.0 farad cap; after reading about them ,I see that they have a lot of benefits. My cd player does not skip on bad road conditions or anything like that, it is when the bass gets loud, and it is loud. It only skips on certain frequencies as well. When I check the drivers they are not even moving, so when I turn them up louder, the cd player skips. Then if I put it on the radio, I can go as loud as I want.

Sorry, I got cut off. Anyway, I know that this is not an uncommon problem, so I just thought I gather everyones ideas about what is the best way to solve it, wether it be a new cd player or sound dampeing material. I just don't want to get a new cd player if it will stil skip when I turn it up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.