Car Volume turns down after an hour of driving

Ade

Hi all,

I'm new to car forums so bear with me, if I miss out any information let me know and I'll add it in.

I bought a used Toyota Yaris (my first car) and I've had it for 4 months now, about a month ago I noticed that after about an hour of driving the stereo turns itself right down to the point I cant hear anything. It doesn't matter if its on CD or radio. I drive an hour and a half every day to work and then the same back so its nothing to do with the radio signal either.

I have been looking for solutions for a while but I cant find anything - maybe I'm not looking correctly :s

anyway if anyone knows what the problem is/might be, suggestions on how to fix it would be much appreciated

I bought a used Toyota Yaris (my first car) and I've had it for 4 months now, about a month ago I noticed that after about an hour of driving the stereo turns itself right down to the point I cant hear anything. It doesn't matter if its on CD or radio. I drive an hour and a half every day to work and then the same back so its nothing to do with the radio signal either.

I have been looking for solutions for a while but I cant find anything - maybe I'm not looking correctly :s
No worries on the stereo, it is just you going deaf! j/k

Seriously is this a factory unit? If not what is it? Is it all one one or has a separate Amplifier?

The first thing that comes to mind is overheating/thermal shutdown of the Amp.

It's a factory unit the only change I've made to it was adding a part to allow me to connect my iPod via jack cable.

Because it's a factory unit does that mean I'm limited to fix it?

i think fixing it will require you to actually replace it with a good head unit...

hopefully someone here will have the same car as you and know whats a good upgrade from stock to recomend

me personaly i like a pioneer headunit

ive never had a pioneer deck that i diddnt like / or work well

try reset the factory unit (take out fuse) and google search the issue your having, you'll prob find that 100s of other people have had the same issue and they would no if it's an easy fix or a new headunit is needed.

try reset the factory unit (take out fuse) and google search the issue your having, you'll prob find that 100s of other people have had the same issue and they would no if it's an easy fix or a new headunit is needed.
An easier way to reset the factory unit would be to remove your Battery Terminal(s) and let it sit for a few hours (generally would reset within 30mins-1hour) but leaving it overnight, etc.. is always a safe bet. Of course be sure if your radio has some code to enter when it loses power that you know it,.. some cars have this "theft prevention feature". But, to reset a deck I personally find it easier to unhook the batter rather than pull the deck.. unless your deck is unbelievably easy to get out.

Great idea by Side Show though,.. it could be some strange setting in the deck,.. who knows. Is the factory system amplified (external factory amp?) -- If so, the amp may be getting too hot after an hour and causing this. It is also possible the headunit is doing the same thing (they have amps in them too).

Also check your ASL on the headunit in the settings.. (Audio Sound Leveling.. or something similar to that) -- It basically auto adjusts the speaker output based on perceived "speed". This feature can sometimes mess with your levels.

When you turn the car off and back on, does the sound come back ?

Thank you this is all really helpful.

If I turn the stereo off for about 5 mins it comes back on but it fades out again pretty quickly the same thing happens if I turn the car off completely.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.