Car stereo wont work unless door open!

I identified your problem. GM product //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

J/K that's a weird thing to have happen. The entire stereo is stock? I'm stumped //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I agree with all that has been mentioned before.....definitely sounds like a wire shorting out.

Pop off the passenger side door panel, remove and disconnect the speaker and then trace the wires back and see where they are getting pinched and/or if the insulation on the wire is damaged somewhere exposing the copper wire.

Check inside the door in question, near where the wires go into the door. Sounds suspiciously like the wire harness for the speaker is tangled up in the door-stop slider (the thing that prevents the door from opening too far).

Otherwise, it could be anywhere in the grommet/flex tube that carries the wires from the door to the car body... wires shorting together, OR to ground...

Regards,

Gordon.

Do you know if this particular vehicle has a factory amplifier. These are sometimes mounted in the kick panel by the passenger door if there is some kindo of harness attached to the amp it may have come loose. Is your stereo still on/working when the speakers cut out?

But he said that ALL the speakers go off. If it was a pinched wire then it would be only the speaker in that door that didnt work.

not true.

if there is a pinched wire, the internal amp is probably going into protect

The stereo is still completely functional when the speakers cut out; It still displays the time, and tells me when the track on a CD has changed and so on. I can still tune the radio and everything, just no sound unless the passenger door is open.

your lucky if its grounding out somewhere and you haven't fried the unit. every time i've ever grounded out a speaker on a HU, its fried the internal amp...but that does sound like your problem to me.

The stereo is still completely functional when the speakers cut out; It still displays the time, and tells me when the track on a CD has changed and so on. I can still tune the radio and everything, just no sound unless the passenger door is open.
Have you done anything we have suggested yet?

Hey, so i opened the door, and where the doors hinge is theres a thick black rubber cable.. which felt like it contained some more wires. I gave the cable a tug and shook it around just as a dumb attempt, and everything works now. Guess it was getting pintched or something? Thanks soo much for all your help!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...