Car Audio semi-n00b needing ideas for “front only” system...6.5” component spkrs with appropriate amp

Thanks, please correct me if I‘ve misunderstood any of the following...

Sound deadening:
look into recommended placements of deadening materials
the needed pieces and someone to do the install

Select front speakers:
separates ( like the Hertz 165.3 and a tweeter to pair with it)
Or a 6.5“ component set.
Checking my list first with my install pro to confirm he can fit the speakers selected.

Select Subwoofer:
Choose Sub, enclosure and placement

Select Amp(s):
One Amp for Speakers and Sub. Or Amp for fronts and a mono Amp for sub.

Correct approach so far?

Please check out the small system that I suggested. All well respected components and within your $600 budget. You would even have some decent little bass in your car. Name brand isn't always best brand.

Thank you LasherŽ You have kindly gotten me started/organized which I totally needed, the idea of the Hertz/tweeter or maybe Hertz & Focal components are interesting ideas in line with my tastes in music. I have to look into those and I’m guessing the Focal/Hertz brand mid priced 6.5” Components?

Pioneer 9705- $260
1 pair ABVFL65MB- $100
1-ABVFL8d4 $110
1 pair Dayton Audio AN25F-4- $50
1 box (ported) for a single VFL8D4- $90

The VFL65's will give you a good midbass from 80-3k. Then, the tweeters have a range from 3k-20k. Should give you a good sounding system on a budget. The single 8 will give you a nice tight punch without rattling the car. I would suggest a ported box, but that is your choice.

Thank you Bobby two names, for anticipating my next question other possible components.(lining up the freq. ranges👍)
The type of sub enclosure? Ported or sealed box.

As it seems a sub is needed I have increased my budget to $850.
lol- I‘ll just have to work longer hours I guess.

Ok so with the new budget in mind, I see a ton of used Amps on sites like EBay and Letgo. Is it advisable to purchase used Car Audio Amps once I know what to look for? Maybe a used Subwoofer? I see a lot of those too, high turnover? What about a separate mono amp for the sub? Opening more power/options for front amp?
yes more questions, Thanks guys!!

Last edited:
Thank you LasherŽ You have kindly gotten me started/organized which I totally needed, the idea of the Hertz/tweeter or maybe Hertz & Focal components are interesting ideas in line with my tastes in music. I have to look into those and I’m guessing the Focal/Hertz brand mid priced 6.5” Components?
Not a problem, happy to help. It's very hard to go wrong with those 2 companies, even on the low end of what they offer, you can certainly score some deals every once in a while as well. If you have the patience that might be worth exploring, although they aren't quite as high volume as many other cheaper brands so it may take a while to find clearances.

Thanks LasherŽ, will do. I am going to email Resonix upon your recommendation and see if he will do the install, get a quote etc. In case that is not an option I would love additional referrals for quality fair priced sound deadening installers in the New York tristate area. My car audio installer, Whom I just recently met and comes well reviewed works out of his home and is not truly a sound deadening guy. So I’m thinking I’ll go elsewhere for that install.

Thank you Bobby two names, for anticipating my next question other possible components.(lining up the freq. ranges👍)
The type of sub enclosure? Ported or sealed box.

As it seems a sub is needed I have increased my budget to $850.
lol- I‘ll just have to work longer hours I guess.

Ok so with the new budget in mind, I see a ton of used Amps on sites like EBay and Letgo. Is it advisable to purchase used Car Audio Amps once I know what to look for? Maybe a used Subwoofer? I see a lot of those too, high turnover? What about a separate mono amp for the sub? Opening more power/options for front amp?
yes more questions, Thanks guys!!

If you want real sound.
AbVFL65MB- $
Dayton tweeters AN25f-4
XR 10d2
MD1800 one ohm
TS440x4
Custom ported box
Screenshot_20200524-000952_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200523-235925_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200523-235925_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_20200523-235853_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200523-235853_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 107
Please check out the small system that I suggested. All well respected components and within your $600 budget. You would even have some decent little bass in your car. Name brand isn't always best brand.
I am all for coming in under budget when spending my own money, Thank you Bobbytwonames, I will gratefully look into all the components suggested and with everyone’s help will Put together a tight system that hopefully doesn’t break the bank.

Although Lol. I think sound deadening might break the bank. So let’s keep that out of the $850 Budget. I’ll budget that separately, just might take a little longer
I do think that sound deadening is important and I definitely agree with Lasherž‘S earlier advice...

unless you work on the sound deadening of the doors then you'll receive good but not great results. If you truly want SQ a meh pair of speakers will usually sound better in a sound deadened door than a good pair of speakers in a completely undeadened door.

Thank you Bobby, I am putting these on my list,
Does anyone have any experience with the Used Market for car audio?
I am guessing that speakers unless open box are not the best way to go
Are used subs in enclosures a good value? Used Amps?

I am all for coming in under budget when spending my own money, Thank you Bobbytwonames, I will gratefully look into all the components suggested and with everyone’s help will Put together a tight system that hopefully doesn’t break the bank.

Although Lol. I think sound deadening might break the bank. So let’s keep that out of the $850 Budget. I’ll budget that separately, just might take a little longer
I do think that sound deadening is important and I definitely agree with Lasherž‘S earlier advice...

Just sound deaden the doors and you will be fine.

Does anyone have any experience with the Used Market for car audio?
I am guessing that speakers unless open box are not the best way to go
Are used subs in enclosures a good value? Used Amps?
I mostly have experience with ebay, amazon, crutchfield, and newegg. I wouldn't buy used speakers or amps unless I was comfortable and had the means to recone them/open them up. Open box in my experience has been good from each of those sources. Amps have a bad tendency on ebay to be altered internally if they're not labeled new/open box. Even factory refurbished is dubious unless it's sold by an authorized dealer of that brand. Unfortunately there's a lot of bad sellers on ebay out there ruining it for the honest folks trying to sell used gear.

Enclosure subs are a maybe, but they're often prefab boxes that came with the subs originally. It's a good value in the way that you can save a lot on shipping by getting them locally and a lot of people don't want to hold on to enclosures they're not using since they're big, so they'll give decent prices. Custom boxes are virtually always better than pre-fabs. I would say stay away from pre-fabs especially due to your music interests. The majority of these boxes are either vented and tuned to 50 something hz or ported and tuned to 35 or so hz. They're also made of 1/2" or 5/8" MDF and aren't sealed very well along the edges. It's good for getting into the hobby for cheap, but your music preference just isn't conducive to cheap pre-fabs unless they're sealed, at which point you'll lose a ton of efficiency. They're more geared towards people who want to shake their mirrors for cheap, not accurately repeat kick drums and bass guitar lines as if it's live.
MD1800 one ohm
TS440x4
Bob's recommendations include a good brand named Taramps which are known for cheap but high quality amps. I recommend them as well, but something to be aware of with many of their models (including the multi-channel one mentioned, TS400x4 or DS-440x4 can't tell which was intended), is they don't have a variable highpass/lowpass cutoff so you'll be reliant on either a sound processor bought separately, the head unit's limited fixed HPF options, or the amp's limited fixed option for picking your crossover points. They're most well known for their more powerful models like the MD1800 mentioned which does have a variable crossover points.

I mostly have experience with ebay, amazon, crutchfield, and newegg. I wouldn't buy used speakers or amps unless I was comfortable and had the means to recone them/open them up. Open box in my experience has been good from each of those sources. Amps have a bad tendency on ebay to be altered internally if they're not labeled new/open box. Even factory refurbished is dubious unless it's sold by an authorized dealer of that brand. Unfortunately there's a lot of bad sellers on ebay out there ruining it for the honest folks trying to sell used gear.

Enclosure subs are a maybe, but they're often prefab boxes that came with the subs originally. It's a good value in the way that you can save a lot on shipping by getting them locally and a lot of people don't want to hold on to enclosures they're not using since they're big, so they'll give decent prices. Custom boxes are virtually always better than pre-fabs. I would say stay away from pre-fabs especially due to your music interests. The majority of these boxes are either vented and tuned to 50 something hz or ported and tuned to 35 or so hz. They're also made of 1/2" or 5/8" MDF and aren't sealed very well along the edges. It's good for getting into the hobby for cheap, but your music preference just isn't conducive to cheap pre-fabs unless they're sealed, at which point you'll lose a ton of efficiency. They're more geared towards people who want to shake their mirrors for cheap, not accurately repeat kick drums and bass guitar lines as if it's live.

Bob's recommendations include a good brand named Taramps which are known for cheap but high quality amps. I recommend them as well, but something to be aware of with many of their models (including the multi-channel one mentioned, TS400x4 or DS-440x4 can't tell which was intended), is they don't have a variable highpass/lowpass cutoff so you'll be reliant on either a sound processor bought separately, the head unit's limited fixed HPF options, or the amp's limited fixed option for picking your crossover points. They're most well known for their more powerful models like the MD1800 mentioned which does have a variable crossover points.

This is what I'm running with a 95 amp alternator.
1. DS250/2
1. DS800X4
1. MD3000.1 one ohm

It sounds like he doesn't want hair standing Bass. A single VFL8D4 or XR10d2 would suffice. Or, one XFL1222 would be best.

It sounds like he doesn't want hair standing Bass. A single VFL8D4 or XR10d2 would suffice. Or, one XFL1222 would be best.
Yeah, worth mentioning I think the MD1800 is overkill although the price is right. I'm not the largest fan of American Bass, but something in the 400W-1000W range is plenty depending on the enclosure. 400 for ported, 1000W for sealed. I'm also not a huge fan of the, "everything this brand does is good" mentality but those two lines from focal/hertz come highly recommended as the best mids used in complex audiophile crossover systems as evidenced around the internet. I plan on getting a set of either, but can't make up my mind. Will probably depend on the amps at my disposal at the time.

Last edited:
Yeah, worth mentioning I think the MD1800 is overkill although the price is right. I'm not the largest fan of American Bass, but something in the 400W-1000W range is plenty depending on the enclosure. 400 for ported, 1000W for sealed. I'm also not a huge fan of the, "everything this brand does is good" mentality but those two lines from focal/hertz come highly recommended as the best mids used in complex audiophile crossover systems as evidenced around the internet. I plan on getting a set of either, but can't make up my mind. Will probably depend on the amps at my disposal at the time.

I would rather have a midbass over a midrange. The VFL65 can take your **** from 80-3k. Then, let your tweets take over. I'm also running a pair or Pioneer Pro TS-M650PRO in the rear. If you want rear fill, rub these Pioneers. They are ridiculous and cover 50hz.-18khz. They are the best/loudest speakers that I have ever heard. I have them on rear fill. I would've felt totally comfortable with them as my front stage (18k is enough for me). Believe me, they are totally legit.

I would rather have a midbass over a midrange. The VFL65 can take your **** from 80-3k. Then, let your tweets take over. I'm also running a pair or Pioneer Pro TS-M650PRO in the rear. If you want rear fill, rub these Pioneers. They are ridiculous and cover 50hz.-18khz. They are the best/loudest speakers that I have ever heard. I have them on rear fill. I would've felt totally comfortable with them as my front stage (18k is enough for me). Believe me, they are totally legit.

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but what music is that with? I'd be curious to see performance on something like port blue - the grand staircase to see if it could accurately differentiate the 5 bass notes in the main beginning riff. My sealed 15" SX 380D does but my stock door speakers can't manage it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.