Car Audio... Not the Number One Hobby Anymore...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jeffdachef
5,000+ posts

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
IDK boys it was nice and i'm still gonna do it but My new hobbies surpass car audio tenfold.

Stock/options trading literally made me enough to afford some 20% down payments to a few fixer uppers that I turned to a rental properties and forced some capital appreciation with some rehab work, got a huge adrenaline rush when the appraisal came in and got a **** ton of equity that i cashed out refinanced into a few extra more properties, covid has done wonders for real estate supply in my area. I find that I'm literally constantly keeping up with stocks and real estate deals religiously. The goal of never having to trade time for money again AKA financial Independence in my life is exciting as **** to achieve. I guess i'm addicted to obtaining assets and increasing net worth now over reaching high DB scores and sorta see car audio expenses as possible 1,000% future returns if i invested that instead. I'm still living like a total broke dude because of that assets > liabilities mindset though.

Anyone other OGs in here in the same boat with other hobbies?

IDK boys it was nice and i'm still gonna do it but My new hobbies surpass car audio tenfold.

#weallmoveonbutneverleave

I gotta say this forum (and certain users) have let me catchup since the 90's with my 90's preconceptions.

Some of you are doing madly well... $$$... Ever think that blessing will be apart from audio?

My hobby is trying to stay alive,lol. All my medical issues make me focus on that. But other then that still into computers and never have enough time to mess with them like I want to. I still haven't built the server I bought all the stuff for 2 years ago because I just never get the time to actually sit down and pour the hours into it that I need to.

If I wasn't disabled, I would still be heavily into Snowmobiling to the point I would be going out west up till April/May maybe even try Alaska as early as October but no longer able to. Still have my 3 snowmobiles but kinda have to living where I live in case I get snowed in like 3 years ago. 35 inches of snow in 48 hours, only way to get to the grocery store was with the snowmobile,lol.

Also nice job on the investments. IF I was still able to work I'd still be at my old job and most likely would have done what you have and bought some rental properties. Those are always a decent investment.

I'm getting more into home audio and custom speaker building.

New cars are too complex to work on and I'd rather go fast than be loud and slow.

And as much as I enjoy car audio, boats have always been a passion so rearranging finances to allow for a boat is more of a priority. I think the 61 subs that I currently own will translate to a decent down payment.

Grew up on the Kankakee River in Illinois,had boats and jet skis till I was 26 or so. I love and miss boating so much. Used to do systems on the boats we owned as well for while out cruising and there is some places that do audio competitions on boats so don't get rid of everything!

****'s addicting bro. money in the bank when you sleep.

Exactly. I have two currently. Last renter was a Dr. Paid a year in advance. Went missing. Was found dead. Found he was bipolar and quit taking his meds. Destroyed the bathroom, dock house, and alot of the walls in the house... Just finished fixing it all up and put it up for sale. If it doesn't sell by January it's going back up for rent.

Other renter has been perfect. Pays on time. Takes care of house and yard. Couldn't ask for any better.

I did it the other way around. I started buying rental properties and/or rehab flips 22 years ago. Now they are funding my car audio hobby.

(Actually I was a car audio nut for several years prior to starting off on career/real estate, etc. Been listening for factory radios for 25+ years. Enjoying getting back into the car audio hobby and learning all that has changed).

I did it the other way around. I started buying rental properties and/or rehab flips 22 years ago. Now they are funding my car audio hobby.

(Actually I was a car audio nut for several years prior to starting off on career/real estate, etc. Been listening for factory radios for 25+ years. Enjoying getting back into the car audio hobby and learning all that has changed).

Ouch sorry you had to endure that lol. Seems like you started off at the right path lol. My poor ass from an immigrant family had no one to teach us anything about financial education, If I knew the things i know now a decade ago i'd be pretty close to early retirement by now. At least my kids will get finance lessons.

Ouch sorry you had to endure that lol. Seems like you started off at the right path lol. My poor ass from an immigrant family had no one to teach us anything about financial education, If I knew the things i know now a decade ago i'd be pretty close to early retirement by now. At least my kids will get finance lessons.

The real estate has been a very rewarding investment/experience. Some trials here and there, but overall very positive. I’m not quite retired yet (but I can see it from here) but it’s nice enjoying the rewards of the early investments.

Best of luck in your endeavors!!

Anyone other OGs in here in the same boat with other hobbies?
Absolutely been down that boat for sure.

The original thrill and excitement of something new is a strong feeling but once you get the point of high level (in your case your sound system and knowledge of car audio is something less than 1% of people possess) then the thrill kinda dies down, especially if your not actively doing it for a living.

I've had it happen with 2 hobbies. Martial arts I wrestled club, did BJJ for 7 years, and competed in 4 sanctioned MMA fights. It eventually got the to the point to where it wasn't really that fun anymore, I got to the point to where I had reached a level that maybe 1 out of every 1000 people who enter a gym reached and almost everyone with higher knowledge/skilled did it for a living which I never wanted (I wasn't planning on going down the teaching path or running a gym).

Same with computers. I use to post non-stop on help forums (over 40k post) and contributed to build/overclocking guides on popular websites (techpowerup, gamespot, guru3d). Like martial arts I got to the point to where I had a top 1% knowledge of diagnosis, building, overclocking, windows.......ect so there really wasn't much left for me to do unless I wanted to specilize in something very specific like manufacturing, programming, cybersecurity, client support manager

Even for my career I had to make some tweeks. Went to massage school and got to the point to where I had done pretty much everything (worked corporate, franchise, medical, and highend Spa, got certified and experienced in literally every modality). Ended up going back to trade school for esthetics (facials) and now i'm trying to master that skillset while still performing massages in the same studio.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.