Can you get decent SQ from a sub with low power?

Participant count
  • Participant list

yotamutt
10+ year member

I'm looking for an amp for my daughter's civic. One of the amps I was looking at was a 4 channel and if I bridged the rear 2 channels I think it would be sending like 150 or 160 watts into 2 ohms. Is it possible to get decent sound from something like this if paired to an efficient driver. I was hoping to be able to use a not very big sealed enclosure. Only thing I have actually purchased so far is the front components so I am still open to amp suggestions but I was trying to be in the $200-ish vicinity and leaning towards one of the lower tier alpine class D.

Anyone have input on this?

Thanks!

What components have you purchased? Will you be building the Sub enclosure yourself? What Radio/HU do you have in the vehicle? Does the car have rear Deck speakers? Have you bought an amplifier installation kit yet? A $200 budget is not a very reasonable budget to add what you want buying brand new. Whats your Maxed Budget?

Just a few things to consider

What components have you purchased? Will you be building the Sub enclosure yourself? What Radio/HU do you have in the vehicle? Does the car have rear Deck speakers? Have you bought an amplifier installation kit yet? A $200 budget is not a very reasonable budget to add what you want buying brand new. Whats your Maxed Budget?

Hey, thanks for the response. I bought JBL club 602 CTP 6.5 for the front. I think it does have rear deck speaker but I'll confirm in the morning. I'll probably build one, yes. Unless the one I have just happens to be the correct volume. It currently has the stock head unit which in the special edition is a double DIN. I'm planning to replace the head unit as well with something with Android auto etc. I don't have an installation kit but I will once I have all the pieces. The budget is flexible but I like class D and I like the idea of having only 1 amplifier which is why I was thinking 4 or maybe 5 channel. I don't really have a hard max but would like to stay close if I could.

Hey, thanks for the response. I bought JBL club 602 CTP 6.5 for the front. I think it does have rear deck speaker but I'll confirm in the morning. I'll probably build one, yes. Unless the one I have just happens to be the correct volume. It currently has the stock head unit which in the special edition is a double DIN. I'm planning to replace the head unit as well with something with Android auto etc. I don't have an installation kit but I will once I have all the pieces. The budget is flexible but I like class D and I like the idea of having only 1 amplifier which is why I was thinking 4 or maybe 5 channel. I don't really have a hard max but would like to stay close if I could.
It would be better to go Ported enclosure for a sub in trunk space, and at least a 500 rms sub to serve any justice.I would remove the Rear speakers out of the rear deck and leave the grills on to get the bass frequint. inside the cabin. the rear speakers will eventually get damaged from the sub pressure levels pushing upon the speaker cones maxing those out and eventually destroy those unless you find a way to cap/seal them off. I would remove them, and open up the deck area to get the bass freq. into the cabin space. I would run a single sub amplifier and a 2 ch for the front speakers. Amps will run cooler and you will have a better option for power needed for the sub stage. look for a deck/HU with at least 4 volt RCA Out with Front and Rear /Sub(two sets of RCAs min. if it has 3.. even better for the price you are looking at. JBL Club series are nice speakers. Should do well. If you have the time, and budget allows.. I would place some Deadner around the speaker area. and look at the Min. of getting some Plastic Sealed speaker baffles will help(approx $10bucks on Ebay..XScorpian brand), There is no real SQ in a trunk space for a sub without deadening the trunk to be in all honesty.. My 0.02 cents/experiencing/installing

This is one of the amps I was looking at. I don't know if it's that great except that it has pretty good ratings on Amazon and other sites.
Taramps is not an exceptional brand.. but for the price.. they get it done and not too hard on the budget.. some of the most affordable amps out there

Majority of 5 ch amps are and can be very expensive and not as powerful as two two ch amps and will generally run hotter than two two ch amps. Two Two channell amps can be found cheaper than most 5 ch amplifiers and can take up less space if chosen properly

It takes less power to move most Ported subs rather than a sealed sub. as well. You can tune low enough to get a really nice sub stage to serve well in trunk space. Ive had a single A.Bass XO 10 on an old school Autotek Mean Machine 66 in a 1.5 tuned to 34 htz i put in a neighbors mustang GT and it sounded really nice. plenty of bass.He eventually wanted more, and we ended up with an XFL 12 in 2.0@32 Htz on a PPI Phantom 1k

A[pine make great amps and have for years with exception of the years they made with the Plugs that had issues staying connected. A little expensive and two chls in my opinion would be pretty useless for a sub stage. That 2 ch Taramps will serve the JBLs just fine IMHO. for the money on front stage. For Substage.. I would pick up the A.Legion amplifier 700.1 and that loaded 12 inch Armada sub and call it a day with the Kn.Con. Dual 4 ga amp kit and the One to Dual FUsed distro Block with a 60 and 50fuse Use a 120 anl fuse @ at the battery. Be a real nice set up for the money

I have a brand new Gladen XS-75c6 for sale if you interested

Attachments

• 20220308_033509.jpg
    20220308_033509.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220308_033704.jpg
    20220308_033704.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 20
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...