CAL26 titan tweeter shutting off - Phase Plug set, ideas??

Latina33
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
CA
So I get my Profi Vanadium Phase Plugs installed today, with their passive crossovers...they are amped with bridged power of 200w RMS a side. The gains for the bridged channels are adjusted down very conservatively, and the crossovers for the front and rear channels (for bridged mode) are both set at 80hz/12 oct/db slope.

When I turn up the volume to a normal louder listening level on my HU, my tweet in my passenger side door shuts off.....after I turn down the volume for a couple of minutes, the tweeter comes back on. Only the passenger side tweet goes off...the driver's side CAL26 stays on continuously.

I recently had a pair of CMX 265's installed, with all of my gain and crossover setting set EXACTLY the same way they are now with the Profi set, and I never had an issue at all with the CAL25 tweets shutting off on me.

Is there something I'm missing as far as adjustments/tweaking? I noticed when I take one of the crossover covers off, I see a small green housing with two tiny flathead screws that the overpowering bulb is attached to....is it possibly something to do with that?

This set works fine with the volume turned way down, but when I crank it how I used to crank the CMX's, I lose a tweet.

Any ideas on what I might want to check to fix this?

Come on fellas, 23 looks, and no imput? I know somebody has something useful to say! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

I was one of the 28 lookers. I really wish I could help. The first thing I would do is inch down your gains. If that didn't work, I would try, as the above poster suggested, swapping out the tweeters. It is possible that it is an issue with that channel of the amp/the crossover/or the tweeter itself. I would bet that it is the amp and/or the gains though.

I doubt 200RMS is too much power for the profi. I have 550+RMS on tap for the profi 2 way, no problem with tweeter cutting off. Obviously I have not tried full blast for obvious reason, it gets pretty loud. My guess is the crossover. If the amp shut off, the midbass would've cut off too, not just the tweeter.

I doubt 200RMS is too much power for the profi. I have 550+RMS on tap for the profi 2 way, no problem with tweeter cutting off. Obviously I have not tried full blast for obvious reason, it gets pretty loud. My guess is the crossover. If the amp shut off, the midbass would've cut off too, not just the tweeter.
I wasn't trying to say that 200 watts was too much power, I meant to say that some degree of clipping could be causing the issue. Sorry I didn't clarify. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The crossovers have a protection circuit that looks sorta like a capacitor...when the signal starts to clip it puts the tweeter into protect so you won't damage it.....
There ya go. That is what I was trying to get out and couldn't //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for all the imput, guys. I'll check the crossover bulb screws to make sure they're tight, and also maybe swap crossovers to see if the problem happens on the other tweet after I swap.

It just drives me nuts that I had the exact same setup/power going to a set of CMX's (which costs less than HALF vs. a set of Profi Van phase plugs), and they worked flawlessly. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blackeye.gif.66a1670f5aaf7f406e783a63e3387dc5.gif

Try swapping the crossovers, if that doesn't do squat, swap the tweeters themselves. That will at least either eliminate the crossover or the left right channels. Are these being by amped? Could be a bad input on the amp.

Let us know.

Try swapping the crossovers, if that doesn't do squat, swap the tweeters themselves. That will at least either eliminate the crossover or the left right channels. Are these being by amped? Could be a bad input on the amp.
Let us know.
Thanks for the input, brother.

Well, I swapped crossovers, same result....actually on louder listening level, now that the crossovers have been swapped, BOTH tweets go out now, not just one. I turned the gains for my front channels all the way down to their minimum setting, then turned my HU up to normal listening volume, tweets still shut off.

Would it damage my tweeters if I unscrewed and took out the protection bulbs from the crossovers? I'm running 200-210 a side, and I know the specs for each woofer aand tweeter both for this set specify that their nominar power handling is 120w each.

I'm possibly considering going active, also. Suggestions?

Run'em active, if the tweets still shutoff and its not too too loud then there's probably something wrong with the tweets, or your amp......

Make sure your crossover point is selected with care.

Are those speakers so inefficient that you need to push almost twice RMS to them? Just wondering....

I'd be careful if you bypass the protection circuit as tweeters don't need very much power to go poof.

He could be deaf LOL

It's not that their inefficient, they just take much more than they are rated for, the rating is conservative IMO.

I think he's deaf too, LOL jk.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.