Budget Bass Build Suggestions for Christmas

Blackout67

CarAudio.com Regular
Ohio
My girls 16 year old cousin rolled his civic about a month and a half ago. Destroyed his 20 year 15 inch Solo Baric and an ancient A/B 2 channel all bought new and they were all pass me downs from his dad. I want to get him a new budget setup for ~$300 for his new civic. Just looking at sub and amp but also box if budget allows it.

Was looking for max displacement in a ported box. Looking at mostly 2 low power 12s and a nice amp with clipping light 600-800 watts because he's runnig stock electrical. He's already got a wiring kit headunit and aftermarket door speakers. He mostly listens to country and rap

Looking at Skar IX 12s or NVX N series
Or the dual kicker Comp 12 preloaded
For amps SFB 600 or D4S JP8.

Any suggestions? Anyone in the Cincinnati area selling anything good?

I would get the D4S JP8, it can do 1200 watts RMS at 1 ohm on the dyno. However your budget will go higher than $300 if you buy woofers and a box to accommodate for this power. A decent box is gonna cost you over $100, even if you build it yourself. So I'd just spend the money to get a good/decent pre-fab if you don't care for it being custom.

I have a friend who is running the JP8 amplifier with 2 Skar SDR 12's and it's really loud for the money. I also have another friend running the 10 inch version and even it gets really loud. So if you're looking for cheap and don't have an exquisite taste for sound quality, these will work. You won't get too many people recommending Skar on here though.

Edit: If you buy the loaded enclosure with these subs in them it's a lot cheaper ($255) than buying the subs and box separate ($318). So if you're keeping the budget to ~$300, I would buy the subs and a wiring kit, then they can cover the $150 for the amplifier. I recommend buying a 4 Gauge Oxygen Free Copper wiring kit from knukonceptz.com.

Last edited:
I would get the D4S JP8, it can do 1200 watts RMS at 1 ohm on the dyno. However your budget will go higher than $300 if you buy woofers and a box to accommodate for this power. A decent box is gonna cost you over $100, even if you build it yourself. So I'd just spend the money to get a good/decent pre-fab if you don't care for it being custom.

I have a friend who is running the JP8 amplifier with 2 Skar SDR 12's and it's really loud for the money. I also have another friend running the 10 inch version and even it gets really loud. So if you're looking for cheap and don't have an exquisite taste for sound quality, these will work. You won't get too many people recommending Skar on here though.

Edit: If you buy the loaded enclosure with these subs in them it's a lot cheaper ($255) than buying the subs and box separate ($318). So if you're keeping the budget to ~$300, I would buy the subs and a wiring kit, then they can cover the $150 for the amplifier. I recommend buying a 4 Gauge Oxygen Free Copper wiring kit from knukonceptz.com.
Well I know if It for me I wouldne be settling for that cheap. I'm a lot more into car audio than the person I'm buying it for. He's 16 and doesn't have big expectations just wants loud and decent sounding.
I used to be a Skar hater but I bought my girlfriend an SVR 15 for a custom box I acquired thru trade and it slams on 600 watts.
Problem with the JP8 is he will never be able to get that 1200 watts on stock electrical in an early 2000 civic. But it's nice to have the headroom

He actually should fine on stock electrical. My friend who has the 10's version runs them on 1200 watts RMS no problem, even at idle. He has a stock and original 90 amp alternator in a 19 year old car with a basic battery. The subs won't be getting 1200 watts most of the time anyways due to impedence rise, the fact that music isn't a strait sine wave, and that the battery acts as a buffer.

The only way it wouldn't work if the alternator is bad and/or if the battery is bad. However in that case, those should be replaced regardless. Look up the alternator that comes stock with that car, it should be adequate.

I do reccomend the big 3 upgrade though in any case. You can get away without it, but I reccomend it even with a lower power amplifier.

There is still a sale at audio legion. The 600 rms 15 inch sub is $85 ,a 700 watt rms amplifier is $90 and a 4 gauge amp kit is $32. Pick up a box for the sub, and you are done.

There is still a sale at audio legion. The 600 rms 15 inch sub is $85 ,a 700 watt rms amplifier is $90 and a 4 gauge amp kit is $32. Pick up a box for the sub, and you are done.
Thats about as CHEAP as you will prob find for sure

I was just going to mention them. Looked about as good a value for the money as you can get right now if you're not trying to shop high-end.

Almost everything on that website comes from the same build house as Skar audio. The equipment will be sent to you from Skar audio. As I understand it, the owner of A.L. has went to work for Skar and they are getting ready to shutdown A.L. as soon as they get rid of the remaining stock.
AEE34450-FB20-4B39-BD38-AD6F707071A1.jpeg

Are they quality products? I don't want to buy subwoofers that will fail after a few weeks. Looking for affordable not cheap
Not sure what your interoperation is for Quality? Everyone has their own acceptable limitations ..But for a $300 budget? And decent audio gear? Its hard to pass up for the money. Is it High end quality? No.. is it above low end quality? Yes.. Will it last? Depends on how well its taken care of and the use of it. If there are any other products within the $300 budget that meet or exceed the price range.. Id like to know myself

Looking at mostly 2 low power 12s and a nice amp with clipping light 600-800 watts because he's runnig stock electrical.
Dealers choice on the amp in a lower power range but since we're there I'd do a pair of LCS Sundown on 1000W in something built for the vehicle/substage. Forget about Poboy budget if you want above swap meet quality, the amp is your choice... but LCS 12's area no brainer for the money. There's even the yardsale but... you takes your chances there.
I think I threw out a LCS-12 design awhile back iirc. Posted and available to anyone. If its still on here...
4LDlj0.jpg

There it is...
Just a thought... Its an option.

Had honestly completely forgotten about this post honestly I've been on the post and haven't been able to buy anything do to my bank account being hacked into and currently waiting on my new bank card to ship.

I understand what you all are saying everything thing is subjective in terms of sound quality. My main thing I'm looking for is something that will stand up to a 16 year old abusing it. He doesn't know much about audio and more than likely I will be the one installing it and tuning it to the preferences I've acquired over the past few years that I've been into audio.

I heavily considered a preloaded Skar package but Skars customer service is terrible judging by Amazon reviews (they delete bad reviews on their website). I think I'm going to get one of their 12 inch boxes and if it arrives damaged I can easily fix it. I'm gonna throw an NVX VSW 12 in there and call it a day I'm sure he'll be happy either way and my VCW sounds pretty good

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...